1. Creating and Executing aUnified ContentMarketing andMultichannel PublishingStrategySUMMARY OF A LAVACON HANDS-ON WORKSHOP
2. Great Minds Converge Adobe IBM Mindtouch Razorfish Red Hat Cisco The Rockley Group
3. What is ContentMarketing? Value Relationships Long-Term Loyalty Meets Needs Builds Credibility Establishes ExpertiseContent marketing is a marketingtechnique of creating anddistributing relevant and valuablecontent to attract, acquire, andengage a clearly defined andunderstood target audience – withthe objective of driving profitablecustomer action.
4. Old Dog, New TricksJohn Deere – ForumEstablished John Deere as the leader in farmequipment by establishing company as authority.Jell-O – CookbookJell-O had limited use. Cookbook provided newideas.
5. “”The real fact of the matter is thatnobody reads ads. People readwhat interest them, and sometimesits an ad.- HOWARD GOSSAGEThe bar has been raised for marketing and advertising. Context awarecomputing will be the catalyst for change. Consumer expectation is a fullproduct experience.
6. Have It Your Way WHEN I want it WHERE I want it HOW I want it Know the WHO and WHY Understand their context
7. Understand WHO & WHYGive Them WHEN, WHERE, & HOWResponsive Responds to environment Screen size Platform Orientation Translates content for desktop Displays EXACTLY the samecontent as desktop web Focus on best possible DISPLAYAdaptive Adjusts to environment anddevice capabilities Delivers a customer experience Filters and layers content Rearranges content Respond to interaction Change based on location Integrate content from othersources Overall approach to improveUSABILITY
8. How Do We Adapt?Audience• Develop PERSONAS• Meet your audience• Use their language• Learn their journey• Design information with youraudience in mindLifecycle• Develop the journey ofeach PERSONA• Map needs• Deliver value at the rightTIME in their journey• Always promise MOREStructure• Essential to adaptation• Future-proofs content• Create content, then addstructure• Style guides & templates• Maintains CONSISTENTexperience• Allows content to adapt
9. Recipe for SuccessCelery Salad• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin oil• 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar• ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. feta cheese, crumbled• ¼ tsp black pepper• 1 bunch celery, thinly sliced on the diagonal• 4 scallions, thinly sliced• ¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped1. In a large bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar, ¼ cup cheese, and pepper until smooth.2. Add the celery, scallions, and parsley and toss to combine.3. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
10. Unified Content StrategyContent is not created in a vacuum. It is part of an ECOSYSTEM. Understandthe cycle of influence to create effective and unified content.
11. Why Unified Content? Inconsistencies are transparent to audience Resources wasted when content is not used Customers frustrated when experience is inconsistent
12. Know Your Kingdom, Rule It Wisely Start with YOU Know who you are Understand the importance of SOFT SKILLS Know who influences your success COMMUNITY is critical Communicate to the correct AUDIENCE Understand end-goals
13. A Case Study in Colliding KingdomsWebOwns:Website & OptimizationMeasured:Traffic, SEO, LeadsSocialOwns:Facebook & TwitterMeasured:EngagementSocial CRMOwns:CRM & TwitterMeasured:NOTBrandOwns:TelevisionMeasured:AwarenessE-Marketing Public RelationsOwns:Blog, Social, ContentMeasured:Working on it…Owns:PRContent, NewsRoom, ContentMeasured:Public Relations
14. Use Systems ThinkingSYSTEMS THINKING is the process of understanding how things, regarded assystems, influence one another within a whole. In organizations, systemsconsist of people, structures, and processes that work together to make anorganization healthy or unhealthy.
15. Create Healthy Systems De-silo PROCESSES, not teams Create collaborative roles to facilitate communication Alignment within systems Governance Measurement Goals Healthy systems lead to healthy systems of engagement Engaged customers are more valuable 2x the cost, 5x as long to attain Spent 2x as much, stayed 2x as long, 2x more likely to share
16. “”Those unable to catalogthe past are doomed torepeat it.- LEMONY SNICKETTCut the cord on legacy content. Marketing must adapt to the unknown &unpredictable.
17. Thank you for your engagement!Please share your questions.