Part 1: planning you home
What to expect from this
• Get you know your local Ag agent
• A focus on good healthy food for you and
your family, and addressing the “food
insecurity” situation in Transylvania County
• Sources for more information
• Become aware of the resources that are
available to you locally
• Share and build on your experiences!
• Why bother with a garden?
• Planning your garden
• Realistic expectations- how much to plant
• Soil tests
• Prepping your garden and sources of soil
• Discussion and questions- Raised beds w/
treated wood? Row covers? Interpreting soil
Planning your garden
• Make a map and consider the following:
• How annoying is it going to be to garden
• Walking distance, water, dogs, neighbors
• How much sunlight will it get (remember,
Full sun means at least 6 hours of sun a
• Slope? Soil type? Can you dig there???