Mobile Learning in
Apprenticeship Coordinator, SD43
What is SSA?
Purpose of the Program
The Hidden Apprentice
Already working? In a trade?
Communicating the Possibilities
For the Students
Accelerated Certification and
For the District
Collaboration and Community-Driven Education
» Distributed Learning and
the Road Ahead
• Increasing Accessibility
• Increasing Awareness
» Today’s child is bewildered when he
enters the 19th century environment
that still characterizes the educational
establishment where information is
scarce but ordered and structured by
fragmented, classified patterns
subjects, and schedules”
• (Marshall McLuhan, 1967).
• Milrad (2003) states that e-learning is
“learning supported by digital
‘electronic’ tools and media, whereas
mobile learning is e-learning using
mobile devices and wireless
transmission (in Hutchinson et al, 2008).
• This definition does not require the
learners to have any actual mobility,
• learners could be using a mobile device
at fixed times, in fixed locations.
• “In terms of devices and technologies”
• “define and conceptualise it in terms of
the mobility of learners and the mobility
of learning” (Traxler 2007)
• Knowledge construction, ‘sage on the
stage’ vs. ‘guide on the side’
• Effective, efficient
• No longer tethered to a time and place