1. Brecken Chapman4th GradeUtah HistoryObjective: Get a brief overview of Utah’s HistoryYou are on summer break from school but are winding down to the lastfew weeks. You will be starting 4th grade and know you that means UtahHistory. At this moment you feel you know very little and think it wouldbe fun to get a quick overview of what you will be learning this nextyear.We are going to start by getting to know the first people in Utah. Go to:http://www.ilovehistory.utah.gov/people/index.html 1. Scroll down to “Make some new friends” to find who the first people were in Utah. Write that down as answer number one. 2. Once you have found the first people click on the name and read an overview of their culture and life. For answer two write a paragraph about any similarities you have to these people.Mormon SettlementNow we are going to move on to the settlement of Utah. Go to:http://historytogo.utah.gov/people/index.html scroll down and click on“Mormon Settlement” from there click on “People” at the top of the pageand then scroll down to click on “Mormon Settlers”.You have finally arrived!!Now a few questions…answers will be on this page3. What war occupied a number of the Mormon men during their travelacross the country?4. Describe how the Mormon settlement worked? Did they stay in hotelswhen they arrived or where did they find shelter? Describe theirexperience.5. Use the map provided and label the states that the Mormon settlerstraveled through with the cities they found shelter in.
2. Utah FactsAll states have a state flower, animal, bird etc. Go to:http://www.atozkidsstuff.com/utah.html6. List five things Utah is known for as answerWhat are some things you would like your state to be known for if yousettled one.7. Make a list of 5 things you would like to be known for in your stateand why.Utah State FlagGo to: http://www.apples4theteacher.com/usa-states/utah/ and clickon Utah State Flag. Print the flag and use the picture to color the flagwith the correct colors. The Utah Flag is a little more complicated so besure check close for details.Counties8. How many counties does Utah have making it up?9. How many start with C’s and what are they?Usehttp://www.uen.org/utahlink/activities/view_activity.cgi?activity_id=5784 for help with these questions.MAP Time!Go to:http://www.google.com/search?q=utah+counties+for+kids&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=mAWSUOnkLInWigLj6YCQCQ&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=601 and click on best map of the counties. Use the Map provided and labelall of the counties.10. Come up with a song, art project, poem, game, or some kind of ideaon how to memorize the counties. Describe it or present it as answer 10.
3. ScramblersYou have been working for a while and have found some Utah statehistory but now it is time for a little game. We are going to do somescrambling.Go to:http://www.apples4theteacher.com/usa-states/utah/facts/Read the instructions on scramblers and do the two activities until youget them done in the 4 minutes allotted.Time for a quick quiz11. What day did Utah become a state?12.What are the major cities in utah?Use site below for any help you need on these questions.http://www.kidskonnect.com/subjectindex/33-places/states/208-utah.htmlNative American Indians of Utahhttp://www.native-languages.org/utah.htmThe Native American people are a huge part of Utah history and still arerepresented in Utah. We often only think of one tribe of NativeAmerican people but Utah has many that have thrived here.13. List the Utah Native American Tribes.14. Which tribe is located in the area that covers St. George?15. Which one of these Native American Indian groups languages is themost spoken in the United States?16. Write five words in from this language and their definitions.AgricultureGo to: http://www.agclassroom.org/kids/ag_facts.htm and click onUtah17. Why would Utah be a top producer of brine shrip?18. How many farms does Utah have? Why is Utah a great place forfarming and agriculture?
4. Activity to get a feel of the settlement experienceGreat job so far with the assignment, now we are going to move into anactivity so you can get a feeling of what the Mormon settlers wentthrough on their journey across the country.Go to:http://www.teacherlink.usu.edu/tlresources/units/MonsonUnits/jilrad/pioneers.htm and scroll down until you see the Packing your Wagonactivity.19. Read the instructions and complete. Make sure to go into yourreasoning on what you selected.Answer Guide 1. PaleoIndian 2. Will vary but needs to be a paragraph in length 3. War on Mexico, May 1846 4. Details about building home and shelter. Information on growing crops and farming development. 5. Information on map provided 6. Answers will vary but check for accuracy 7. Creative answers with explanations are best. 8. 29 counties 9. 2 that start with C. Cache and Carbon 10. Answers will vary 11. January 4, 1896 12. Salt Lake City, Ogden, St George, Provo, Logan, Richfield, and Cedar City 13. Bannock Tribe, Goshute Tribe, Navajo Tribe, Paiute Tribe, Shoshone Tribe, Ute Tribe 14. Paiute 15. Navajo 16. This answer will vary 17. We have the Great Salt Lake…more detail
5. 18. After the recession of Lake Bonneville, the mountain streams flowed down to the lake, carrying loads of sediment. These sediments formed wide areas of loose soil, gravel, and sand, and are now some of the best soil and gravel deposits in the state.19. Complete activity