Sharing of revenue between advertisers and affiliates. Amount of your compensation will depend on what the advertiser offers you. Usually calculated based on a percentage of a sale. Commonly known as CPA or cost per action. Sometimes companies pay on shipping fees too. Between 3% and 40% - this all is up to you and your publisher.When a publisher pays you based on a click and not a sale, it is called a CPA or Cost Per Action commission.
Being self employed has enormous benefits, but also some drawbacks. Being your own boss can be tricky. It is very motivating to
I will attempt to give you a basic background in affiliate marketing techniques and strategies that will led you in the right direction.
Are you ready to get started?You don’t have to be a computer wizard, but you do need some computer skills.
Coming up with a niche that you want to promote is a difficult decision.
By getting to know your affiliate managers, you can get your commissions raised, find out extra information about best sellers, special ads going on and personal feedback.
EPC - Average Earnings Per One Hundred ClicksCTR – Click Through RateCR – Conversion Rate – how many clicks produce a saleCPA – Cost Per ActionOPM – Outsourced Program Manager
Shareasale is my favorite network because they invested in my affiliate growth by sponsoring me for a weekend at a the Pelican Hill Resort in Newport Beach. They gave me opportunities to meet and speak directly to my affiliate managers.
Screenrant.com uses googleadsense to make money. Pulling in 5 figures a month with $25K in monthly expenses. Good example of standing in front of what is already popular.
Thom Allen script - Paid $1,000 to have a script written for me that automated everything I could think of to make the job easier.
1. By Sherry Tingley
January 6, 2014
2. A marketer publishes a unique, value added website.
A customer visits that site and clicks on an image or
text that contains an affiliate link.
The customer is taken to a merchant website where
they make a purchase.
A percentage of that sale is shared with the publisher
that referred the customer.
3. Affiliate marketers publish content that attracts traffic. That
means they are constantly trying to attract new traffic and they
are self employed.
Being self employed has enormous benefits, but also has some
drawbacks. Being your own boss can be challenging. You have
to be self motivated and self directed.
You may work for months without seeing a profit.
Once you start earning money and learning what
increases your sales, your work no longer seems like work.
4. Do your homework on the demand for your products! Make that landing
comfortable by taking it one step at a time.
5. You did your research. You want to give it a try, but don’t have a divining stick
to tell you where the goodies are. Relax. We can show you the way to get
6. You will need computer skills, but you don’t have to be a geek.
7. 1. This is the single hardest problem people have to make a decision
about. Make sure your decision is research based and not just based
on what the guy next door says nor what your personal passion says.
2. The EPC figure (or estimated revenue per 100 clicks) is critical in
decision making. You don’t want to promote products that are hard to
3. Affiliate networks provide affiliates with EPC’s for every
4. Filter out your merchants based on EPC, quality Affiliate
program managers and what others in their program report.
5. Order a sample product. Does it meet your requirements
for delivery and satisfaction?
8. Art & Photography
Books & Media
Bridal & Wedding
Food & Drink
Games & Toys
Gifts & Flowers
Health & Fitness
Home & Garden
Recreation & Leisure
9. Make sure there is a market for your products. Always research the amount of
traffic your keywords currently have. Low demand = low sales.
The fewer places a person can buy your product offline, the better chance you
have of selling it.
Passion about your particular topic will help give you incentive to continually
improve your site. Having expertise in your niche will go a long way towards
increasing your revenue.
10. Look at their EPC figures and their reversal rates (rates of returned items)
11. Before an affiliate network allows you to
join their networks, you must have a
website of some kind.
Networks decide if they want to work
with you. If they don’t, you are out of
Spend some time developing some type
of website that will show your creative
and your added value.
12. In order to become an affiliate of a network, you need to fill out an
application which will generally include the web address of the site
you want to promote. Make your chances of being accepted better by
spending some time on your site to make it unique and compelling.
There are many
listed. These are
just some you
may want to start
14. An affiliate network is an organization that has done much of the hard work for
you. They have already established relationships with thousands of merchants.
They will provide you with all the data you need to display products, advertise
specials and sell merchant’s products.
They are also responsible for tracking each and every sale that originates from your
website. You can check on your sales at any time of the day. Recording the sale can
take a few minutes up to several hours.
You will be able to see exactly how much you made on each sale, how many clicks
originated from your site and you can also track the keywords people used to get
to your site if you have additional scripting done for you.
16. All three work together to create a sale. Develop
good relationships with everyone in this cycle.
17. Advertisers - In the world of affiliate marketing, an advertiser can
be a company selling a product like electronics, airline tickets,
clothing or car parts, or an advertiser could also be an insurance
company selling policies.
Publishers - A publisher is an individual or company that promotes
an advertiser’s product or service in exchange for earning a
commission. Advertisers contractually agree to work with a
publisher, then provide the publisher with creatives – in the form of
links, banner or text ads or even unique phone numbers, that the
publisher incorporates into their website.
Customers - The final component that completes the affiliate
relationship circle is the consumer. The consumer is the one who
actually sees the ad and then makes an action (either by clicking a
link or by submitting their information via a form) that takes them
from the publisher’s website to the advertiser’s to complete the
action, which we call a conversion.
19. This is a typical affiliate URL:
You will be provided this type of information from your Affiliate
You will need to replace the words YOURUSERID with your affiliate
number in order to get credit for the referral.
20. Don’t forget
This is my blog post sentence where you can discuss how you
use or recommend the <a href=“http://www.shareasale.com/mpr.cfm?merchantID=40567&userID=YOURUSERID&mobile=1&
productID=498892779”>product</a> you want to promote.
You won’t get very far in affiliate marketing without knowing the basic html
needed to create a text link and an image link.
21. If you run a Wordpress website, it is very easy to create links on your right
side bar. You just need a text widget to hold your html. You’ll find the
widget on the left side of your WordPress dashboard in a fly-out menu
22. My Awesome Product
PPC – Pay Per Click
EPC – Average Earnings Per 100 Clicks
CTR – Click Through Rate
CR – Conversion Rate
3 Month EPC
7 Day EPC
Performance Incentive – Company Bonus
FTP – File Transfer Protocol
CPA – Cost Per Action
OPM – Outsourced Program Managers
APM – Affiliate Program Managers
People get confused with all the different terms they hear about affiliate marketing.
These are a few of the common terms and their definitions.
24. Some affiliate networks reward their top performing affiliates with
25. One of the best conferences for new affiliate marketers is Affiliate Summit,
hosted by Shawn Collins & Missy Ward. Held twice a year, once in January and
once back East, attendees (5,000+) enjoy education, networking and parties.
A great way to learn to start or improve your business.
26. 01/12-01/14 – Affiliate Summit West (Las Vegas, NV, USA)
01/15 – ClickBank Exchange (Las Vegas, NV, USA)
01/29-01/30 – LinkShare Symposium West (San Francisco, CA, USA)
02/06-02/09 – London Affiliate Conference (London, UK)
02/21 – CPA Day (Kiev, Ukraine)
02/25-02/26 – Affiliate TactixX (Munich, Germany)
TBA – LinkShare Symposium Japan (Tokyo, Japan)
03/18 – Affiliate Management Workshop (San Francisco, CA, USA)
03/19-03/20 – Affiliate Management Days (San Francisco, CA, USA)
[Early Bird ends Jan 24 | combine with this coupon to save over $700.00]
03/25-03/26 – LeadsCon Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV, USA)
TBA – LinkShare Symposium UK (London, UK)
Affiliates generally benefit from networking with other professionals. You’ll find
people with a big variety of skill levels when you attend conferences. Classes teach
you all the skills you need to become competent.
27. 04/29 – Performance Marketing Awards (London, UK)
05/13-05/14 – Affiliate Management Days (London, UK)
05/22 – Affiliate Dag 2014 (Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
05/29-05/31 – Afiliados Brasil (São Paulo, Brazil)
06/24-06/25 – Performance Marketing Insights Europe (Berlin, Germany)
06/24-06/27 – Amsterdam Affiliate Conference (Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
TBA – LinkShare Symposium East (New York, NY, USA)
TBA – Affiliate Marketing Master Class (Athens, Greece)
08/03-08/05 – AvantExpo 2014 (Park City, UT, USA)
TBA – LeadsCon East (New York, NY, USA)
08/10-08/12 – Affiliate Summit East (New York, NY, USA)
TBA – LinkShare Symposium Australia (Sydney, Australia)
TBA – Commission Junction University (Santa Barbara, CA, USA)
10/03-10/04 – Russian Affiliate Congress & Expo (Moscow, Russia)
TBA – Russian Affiliate Days (Moscow, Russia)
TBA – Barcelona Affiliate Conference (Barcelona, Spain)
TBA – China International Affiliate Conference (Tianjin, China)
28. TBA – LeadConf (Moscow, Russia)
TBA – Performance Marketing Insights London (London, UK)
TBA – Performance Marketing Day (Madrid, Spain)
TBA – Affiliate Konference (Prague, Czech Republic)
TBA – LinkShare Symposium Canada (Toronto, Canada)
TBA – Performance Marketing Day (Barcelona, Spain)
Special thanks to Gen Prussakov of AmNavigator.com
for compiling this comprehensive list.
29. Serial Entrepreneur & Affiliate Marketer- www.shoemoney.com
Author of - “Nothing's Changed But My Change: The ShoeMoney Story”
Named the "Most Influential Person on the Internet" by Fast Company
magazine in 2010.
30. www.Johnchow.com – Overflowing with blogging advice and author
of: Make Money Online: Roadmap of a Dot Com Mogul
Author of: Blogging Tips: Confessions of a Six Figure Blogger
32. The easiest thing is to react.
The second easiest is to
But the hardest thing is to
Author of fifteen international
33. Retail me not is an affiliate site offering easy selection of coupons and received
national attention at CNN, Fox News, Tech Crunch and U.S.A. Today.
Affiliate links are programmed into each coupon.
34. One successful group of writers brings you entertainment
reviews and videos.
35. #1 non-corporate-owned movie news
site in America.*
“I’ve served in the Navy, and have been employed
as a door to door salesman, construction worker,
car salesman, waiter, mechanical drafter,
mechanical designer, system administrator
and search engine optimization specialist.”
~ Owner of Screenrant.com
36. New affiliates need to ask themselves some serious questions. If you have
some idea about how you can offer uniqueness to the marketplace, you
will have a much easier time making money.
1. What are you doing for your customers?
2. Are you saving them time?
3. Are you saving them money?
4. Are you comparing products?
5. Are you providing anything unique?
37. Good affiliate sites are not a set and forget project. It is the daily
work that you do that adds value to your site. Always keep in mind
that making your customers’ lives easier will benefit both of you.
1. Is your daily work flow manageable?
2. Are there repetitive jobs that could be automated?
3. Where will you get content ideas?
4. Are you active in Social Sharing sites?
5. Will your business make money without you there?
38. “Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you
~ Albert Einstein