2. This is bracket fungi. It grows on the tree because it cannot make its own food so it gets its own nutrients from the tree trunk.
3. The spores are stored in the gills.
4. Mould grows best in moist conditions. Toasted bread is too dry.
5. Cordyceps is a fungus that attacks the larva of insects like caterpillars and beetles and kills it from within. Then it grows out from the dead body.
6. 15 kg of slime mould, a kind of fungus, found in China, dug up from 10 m underground. They grow on plants.
7. Slime Mold
8. Algae are simple plants that usually live in the water e.g. seaweed.
9. Puffball is an edible mushroom. It can grow very big.
10. Eating meat that is not fully cooked can give us diarrhoea because of the bacteria in raw meat.
11. Comparing Bacteria and Yeast Bacteria Yeast Similarities Both are micro-organisms. Differences Bacteria can be harmful as well as useful Yeast is useful. Can be found in our small intestine. Cannot be found in our small intestine Is not a fungus Is a fungus.
12. More about Bacteria Some bacteria are useful, some are harmful. All are micro-organisms. They are so small that they can only be seen with a microscope. Bacteria can be found anywhere, even in the soil. Bacteria have different shapes and sizes.
13. More bacteria are found in drain than pond water because drains have more rubbish than ponds.
14. Tap water has more bacteria than boiled water because boiling kills the bacteria.
15. More about Fungi Some fungi can be seen with the naked eye but some cannot. Fungi produce only spores. They do not produce fruits and seeds. Fungi are non-green plants. They cannot make food on their own. They get their food by feeding on dead plants and animals around them. Some fungi are useful and some are harmful. Some fungi are edible.
16. Foods made using Fungi Fermented Wine Soy Sauce Beer Bread http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1133647/dough_rising/
17. Foods made using Bacteria Yoghurt Yakult Drink Kimchi http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1133647/dough_rising/ Cheese