1. Organizations that Promote Ecotourism, For Environmental and Cultural Sustainability Ed Mayer Earth MattersEdnsue74@earthlink.net
2. Blue Ridge Parkway Vista
3. Tarahumara Ceremony, Mexico
4. The International Ecotourism Society (TIES) www.ecotourism.org Mission TIES promotes ecotourism, which is defined as "responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people," by: Creating an international network of individuals, institutions and the tourism industry; Educating tourists and tourism professionals; and Influencing the tourism industry, public institutions and donors to integrate the principles of ecotourism into their operations and policies. TIES Vision As the worlds oldest and largest international ecotourism association, TIES seeks to be the global source of knowledge and advocacy uniting communities, conservation, and sustainable travel.
5. The International Ecotourism Society (TIES) www.ecotourism.org Principles of Ecotourism: Ecotourism is about uniting conservation, communities, and sustainable travel. This means that those who implement and participate in ecotourism activities should follow the following ecotourism principles: Minimize impact. Build environmental and cultural awareness and respect. Provide positive experiences for both visitors and hosts. Provide direct financial benefits for conservation. Provide financial benefits and empowerment for local people. Raise sensitivity to host countries political, environmental, and social climate.
6. The International Ecotourism Society (TIES) www.ecotourism.org TIES Offers Members Ecotourism Network Listings of Eco Destinations Certification and Sustainable Tourism Management with George Washington Univ. Publications Annual Ecotourism and Sustainable Tourism Conference Travel Green Guide
7. Eco Lodge
8. New Guinea Vista
9. Sustainable Travel International (STI)www.sustainabletravelinternational.org Promoting responsible travel and ecotourism, supporting sustainable development, and helping travelers and travel providers protect the cultures and environments they visit. Mission: Sustainable Travel International (STI) is a global leader in sustainable tourism development. The organization’s mission is to promote sustainable development through responsible travel by providing programs that help travelers, businesses and destinations protect the environment, preserve cultural heritage and promote economic development. STI is dedicated to taking a holistic approach to addressing sustainable development within the travel and tourism industries by providing solutions-oriented programs that generate tangible results and affect long-lasting change.
10. Sustainable Travel International (STI)www.sustainabletravelinternational.org STI Programs Advisory Services Eco-Certification Carbon Management Eco-Directory Education and Training Traveler’s Philanthropy
11. Sustainable Travel International (STI)www.sustainabletravelinternational.org Sustainable Tourism Eco-Certification Program (STEP) STEP is STI’s flagship program and is the gold standard for accommodations, attractions, tour operators and transportation services STEP features an online Sustainability Management Framework and Self-assessment Tool Standards are aligned with the Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria and have been developed transparently in collaboration with the travel and tourism industry. Carbon Management Reduce Carbon Emissions and Invest in Carbon Offsets STI provides comprehensive carbon management and reduction services to help individuals and businesses easily and affordably balance their environmental impact.
12. World Tourism Organization www.unwto.orgGlobal Code of Ethics for Tourism The Global Code of Ethics for Tourism sets a frame of reference for the responsible and sustainable development of world tourism. With international tourism forecast to reach 1.6 billion arrivals by 2020, WTO believe that the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism will help minimize the negative impacts of tourism on the environment and on cultural heritage while maximizing the benefits for tourism destinations.Green Lodging News www.greenlodgingnews.com The lodging industry’s leading environmental news source
13. Eco Tour, New Guinea
14. Trekking in Papua New Guinea
15. Moving ForwardEstablish a WNC Ecotourism Network Advise members on certifications standards and assist with meeting standards and criteria. Explore possibilities for group certification to reduce costs for individual operations. Join International Ecotourism organizations as a business association. Establish WNC as an ecotourism destination and advertise on behalf of certified members. Other ideas??
16. Earth MattersCollaborative Approach to Project Design and Implementation Conservation, Ecotourism, Forest Carbon Ed Mayer and Susan Brown firstname.lastname@example.org 828-505-1080