4. In the early 1900’s , Brookline and Temple were quite different. Brookline was “real country” – all farms, all dirt roads, milk and bread delivered by horse and wagon in summer and sleigh in the winter.
5. The Early Church January 18, 1914 – The Union Sunday School of Brookline, Delaware County was formed by a group of Christian residents in the area.
6. October 31, 1915 – The Brookline Christian Endeavor was organized. Albert W. Sheffer was elected president. The Brookline Christian Endeavor met in several locations: the Brookline Public School on Earlington Road (pictured above), the Women’s Club House at 324 Sagamore Road, and a small outgrown school house on the corner of Earlington and Strathmore Roads.
7. <ul><li>Summer 1916 – The Home Mission Board of the East Pennsylvania Synod of the Lutheran Church canvassed the area. Those interested in the Lutheran movement were invited to meetings at the home of Dr. and Mrs. Merle Boyer and at the Brookline Public School. From those meetings The Brookline Christian Endeavor split into two congregations. Temple Lutheran Church of Brookline and Union Methodist Church of Havertown. </li></ul>
8. September 10, 1916 – Temple Lutheran Church is organized with 30 charter members. Founding Fathers pictured below.
9. December 3, 1916 – First Communion service held. During 1917 Pastor C.E. Ware begins serving as supply pastor at Temple L.C.
10. September 12, 1920 - The Bible School Building is dedicated.
11. September 19, 1920 – Reverend Ney is installed as the first “called” Pastor of Temple Lutheran Church.
12. September 19, 1920 – Reverend Ney is installed as the first “called” Pastor of Temple Lutheran Church.
13. 1922 – Two additional lots are purchased on Brookline Boulevard for the purpose of building a parsonage.
14. Teachers’ Training Class - 1924
15. January 1925 - Temple was declared a self-supporting congregation. They contracted George C. Baum, architect, to design plans for a church sanctuary. A capital funds campaign was begun to raise funds for the construction - $60,000. A ground breaking ceremony for Temple Lutheran was held in December 1926. The cornerstone was laid in March 27, 1927.
16. Confirmation Class – 1930 During the Great Depression, Temple was able to meet all obligations including 100% benevolence apportionment for Synod despite losses of funds and reduced contributions.
17. A star in field hockey, basketball, track, and tennis at Haverford High, Jean was a member of the U.S. Olympic team in 1928, when she was only a junior in high school. She just missed winning a bronze medal, finishing fourth. Jean matriculated at Temple University in 1929 and competed for the Meadowbrook Club because Temple didn't offer women's track. She won the indoor and outdoor high jump title from 1929-32, setting a world record of 5 feet 3 1/2 inches in 1931. At the 1932 Olympics, Jean and Babe Didrickson had a long duel for the gold medal. They were tied at 5 feet 5 1/4 inches, and Jean won the jump-off to capture the gold medal and also set a new world record. Jean was later inducted into the National Track and Field Hall of Fame. Confirmation Class at Temple Lutheran Church Jean Shiley - Hall of Fame Olympic Gold Medal Winner
18. Christmas Choir – December 1948 1940’s – During World War II, 127 men and women of the congregation served in the armed forces. In 1948 carillon bells were installed in the church tower as a memorial and tribute to all who had served their country. Another milestone occurred on October 6, 1948: After 20 years of sacrifice Temple was able to burn the mortgage for the building of the sanctuary.
19. December 2, 1951 – call extended and accepted by Rev. Robert F. Fisher . May 1952 marked the first edition of The Evangel. In September 1952 Temple began a weekday kindergarten/nursery school to fill a need in the community. In 1956, the congregation authorized the building of a building that would meet the needs of education and fellowship. The new education building was completed in 1957; the original bible school building was renovated in 1958.
20. The 1950’s -
21. The 1960’s - In 1964 a Schulmerch Magnebell Tape Player was installed and dedicated to the ministry of Pastor Ney. The congregation gave support to various urban programs. In 1966 a year long celebration of Temple’s 50 th anniversary began. In April 1967 a call was extended and accepted by Rev. Walter O. Reimet.
22. Confirmation Class ,Pastor Reimet & Seminary Student, Billie Wright -1978 In the 1970’s, Temple began participation in the Senior Seminary Program to assist the pastor with youth ministry. The lots on the opposite side of Earlington Road were sold in 1978 and Temple made the decision to expand into the community by increasing outreach programs instead of increasing the size of the physical plant.
23. In the 1980’s , at different times Temple opened its doors to community groups including Delaware County Association of Retarded Citizens, Earlbrook Senior Center, Playful Parenting and Great Beginnings Day Care Center. Rev. Susan Peterson was called in 1982 as the second pastor on a part-time basis. In 1986, Jane Morgan retired as Temple’s organist of 50 years, she was given the title of Organist Emeritus.
24. Confirmation Class & Rev. Betty Butler Percival - 1996 <ul><li>The 1990’s – Rev Betty Butler Percival is called as a second part-time pastor. In Nov 1996, Pastor Reimet retires. The congregation begins its journey through the “interim” period with the aid of Pastor Daniel Lyman. </li></ul>Pastor Dan Lyman
25. Confirmation Class 1998 On August 1, 1997 the congregation calls Larry Resmer Stiles as Pastor. The congregation begins discussions on how to best utilize the large and aging facilities. The parsonage is converted into the church office and classrooms. The decision is made to provide handicap access by adding an elevator in the stairwell of the education building and accessible bathroom facilities.
26. Pastor Richard Mathisen The 2000’s – Pastor Stiles retires in July 2002 and the congregation begins the process of calling a new pastor with the help of Interim Pastors Richard Mathisen and Patricia Johnson. Pastor Patricia Johnson
27. Rev. Matthew C. Staniz In July 2004 a call is extended to Rev Matthew Staniz, a recent seminary graduate. Pastor Staniz is ordained and installed on July 31, 2004 at Temple Lutheran Church.
28. The Parsonage is converted back to a private home for Pastor Staniz and his family. During 2005 and 2006 work continues on the church renovations. The elevator is installed along with handicap access to the sanctuary and a rest room.
29. In February 2006 Temple’s Praise Band – Keniniah – leads the contemporary worship service for the first time.
30. Women of Temple Kitchen Band – 1950’s
31. Preparing Care Packages for College Students
32. Spaghetti Dinner - 2005
33. Havertown Community Day 2005
34. Visit by Choirs to Mary J. Drexel Nursing Home - 2006