Social media My Plan• Website • Separate business page• Blog whenever possible.• Facebook Maintain business circles and verify content• Google+ matches. Avoid cross• Twitter posting personal &• Tumblr business material.• Instagram • Double check post & destination to avoid contamination and brand damage.
• By maintaining separate business & personal accounts and ensuring that appropriate content is posted to the proper pages I control my business and personal messaging.• By controlling the content that I provide I am able to maintain a professional business image to clients and general public.• I monitor posted content (internal & external) to maintain control of my brand and image.• Through strict permission controls and account management I am able to post personal content or images to family and friends that is unavailable to those outside the intended audience.
• My domain names are owned and controlled directly, as is my web hosting, ensuring immediate and perpetual access that is not tied to a specific company.• Posted content and pages identify me, the company, the service that is being provided to ensure I am found.• Dedicated specific time to update content to reflect vibrant, thriving activity.• Avoid engaging “trolls”, it is almost impossible to win an online argument. Address mistakes as needed but avoid online shouting matches.
Online Persona My Plan• Websites • Strive to utilize the same• Blogs username or handle• Social Media across all platforms possible.• Message Boards • Register with the same• Online Forums business information (email) to provide continuity across sites. • Stay on message and in character when engaging
• Since it is unfortunately impossible to ensure that I will have access to the same username on every possible site I create as self descriptive and unique a name as possible.• If the same (or similar) username is unavailable, register with the same business related contact information across all sites to verify identity and ownership.
• When posting content or responding online I take my time and review materials prior to submission to both protect against inappropriate material and to post in my “business voice”.• Whenever possible, cross posting content and referencing materials (when appropriate) that I previously shared establishes my subject matter expertise.
• Follow best practices by maintaining a secure computing lifestyle. • Avoid free/open WIFI hot spots • Avoid public computers • Log out of every web session before closing the browser • Maintain anti-virus/anti-spyware at all times • Avoid questionable web content & phishing email• To further protect my online identity I post all content myself rather than delegating to an assistant or third party.
• Once content is posted online, it is almost impossible to remove all traces of it’s existence. The adage measure twice, cut once absolutely applies… Think twice, post once.
• Creating a successful, meaningful, relevant, and respected online identity requires planning, strategy, and dedication.• I will be aware of my digital surroundings and the audience, I have an unlimited amount of time to think through the content prior to posting.• I will utilize established best practices to avoid compromising myself, my work, and my reputation online by reducing the risk of unauthorized access to my content.• I will engage with your users and take part in the
• Roth, C. (2012) Four Steps to Managing Your Online Reputation. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carol-roth/4-steps-to-managing-your- _b_1532639.html• Kawasaki, G (2011) How To Start Managing Your Online Reputation. Retrieved from http://www.openforum.com/articles/how-to-start-managing-your-online- reputation• Kessler, S. (2011) How To: Manage Your Online Reputation Using SEO. Retrieved from http://mashable.com/2011/06/27/manage-online-reputation-seo/• Wallen, J. (2012) Five Tools to Monitor and Manage Your Online Reputation. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carol-roth/4-steps-to-managing- your-_b_1532639.html• Warden, C (2012) Using Social Media to Manage Your Online Reputation. Retrieved from http://social-media-optimization.com/2012/05/using-social-media- to-manage-your-online-reputation/