3. Earlier this year, Google updated its searchengine algorithm – the method with which ituses to calculate its results page. This change isknown as the Penguin update. Here’s somebackground on what this means.
7. Since the Penguin update, rankings have fallen heavily.Here is a list of the possible triggers.• Links from poor quality or irrelevant sites• Keyword stuffing or excessive on page optimisation• Excessive duplicate content• Thin content, or pages that not updated regularly• A high percentage of keyword rich anchor text in inbound links
8. The first three points are not relevant to yoursite. However, the second two look to be thesource of the issue.
9. Thin content
10. While the site is well designed, there is littlecontent on each page. Let’s take this page as anexample:http://www.diamondgeezer.com/wedding-rings/
11. Word count: 485
12. Now, let’s compare that to the #1 result for‘wedding rings’:http://www.weddingrings-direct.com/
13. Word count: 2579
14. As you can see, the second site has around 5 times the content.
15. Anchor text distribution
16. Going back tohttp://www.diamondgeezer.com/wedding-rings/, wecan see that the term ‘wedding rings’ dominates thepage’s inbound links.
17. So, what’s next?
18. Content Marketing
19. Over the next few months, our suggestion is notjust to improve pages suchhttp://www.diamondgeezer.com/wedding-rings/for SEO, but to build them into a leadingresource.As this infographic suggests, becoming anauthority in its niche is the way forward.
20. To improve the pages, videos, images etc will beadded, along with ‘how to’ guides, articles andother useful resources.
21. Our intention, simply, is to make them the beston the web.
22. Why us?
23. In this new climate, we believe that we are bestpositioned to not just meet Google’s newrequirements, but exceed them.Our team of writers have won numerousawards, published novels, blogs and works ofnon-fiction, and taught and lectured all over theworld.
24. We appreciate that this is a major difference toour previous proposal. However, we firmlybelieve that this is the most effective way goingforward.