1Co 9:24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.
1Co 9:25 And everyone who competes for the prize is self controlled in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.
1Co 9:26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.
1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
1. The greatest lack in Christians is faithfully practicing the basic spiritual disciplines of the faith . The Pursuit of Happiness
2. Christians who faithfully practice the basic spiritual disciplines will experience joy and the abundant life Jesus proclaimed he came to give. The Pursuit of Happiness
Cont…. Believers who practice the basic spiritual disciplines will grow in their relationship with God and develop Christ-like attitudes and character. The Pursuit of Happiness
3. The relationships we have will be affected by the faithful practice of spiritual disciplines. The Pursuit of Happiness
4. God is real and it is possible to have a living personal relationship with Him. Faithfully practicing the basic spiritual disciplines will result in knowing God better. The Pursuit of Happiness
Rev 2:2 I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars;
Rev 2:3 …and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name's sake and have not become weary. Rev 2:4 Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.
5. Faithfully practicing the basic disciplines of the Christian faith will result in greater reward at the day we appear before Christ to account for the things we did in our life. The Pursuit of Happiness
Mt 25:21 His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.'
2Cor 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
6. One of the basic spiritual disciplines is Bible Reading. The Pursuit of Happiness
7. God blesses those who faithfully read His word. The Pursuit of Happiness
Joshua 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success .
Ps 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. Ps 1:3 He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.
8. Those who faithfully read God’s word will grow more mature in their faith. The Pursuit of Happiness
1Pe 2:2 …as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby…
9. Our fellowship with Christ will grow as we read his word daily. I have never known anyone to fall away from God who faithfully read their bible daily. The Pursuit of Happiness
10. Your success in life is related to your faithfulness in reading God’s word. The Pursuit of Happiness
Ps 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. Ps 1:3 He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.
11. Your amount of faith is related to your reading of God’s word. The Pursuit of Happiness
Ro 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
12. You will be able to resist temptation by reading God’s word. The Pursuit of Happiness
Ps 119:11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You!
13. Your wisdom will increase and your ability to discern truth from error will increase from reading God’s word. The Pursuit of Happiness
Heb 5:13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. Heb 5:14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
14. Your main defense against the schemes of the devil is the word of God. The Pursuit of Happiness
1Pe 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
1Jn 2:14 I have written to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the wicked one.
15. True happiness comes to those who regularly read the word of God. The Pursuit of Happiness
Jer 15:16 Your words were found, and I ate them, and Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts.
16. Will God listen to us if we refuse to listen to what He has to say ? The Pursuit of Happiness
Pr 28:9 One who turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination.
Commit to daily reading the word of God . The Pursuit of Happiness