An Inconvenient Triumph won an Oscar (the first powerpoint based film to do so)
Somebody celebrating South Sudan’s independence
1. Skills for Study 1 Images
2. Overview• Look at examples of visual aids in history• Look at good and bad examples of Powerpoint• Watch a Powerpoint presentation
3. Visual aids have been used invarious ways throughout history
4. Powerpoint• A great way to provide visual information• Too often, it is badly used (death by Powerpoint)
5. Don’t kill your audience
6. What can make a boring presentation?
7. Too much textSometimes what people do is treat apresentation like an essay, and they feel thatthey have to write everything down to showthat they have thought of the right things.However, a presentation is a spoken mediumand it is difficult to read and listen at the sametime. So try to avoid writing too much downand prepare properly so that you say what it isyou want to say and not have it all writtendown.
8. Too many bullet points• Bullet points can make things: – useful, – Easy – Clear• But use too much and it will become: – Difficult to read – And what you want to say may be lost among all the text• If you have a lot to say try to: – Separate your points out onto separate slides – Reduce the amount of text per slide – Think whether you really need to include everything
9. Poor spelling• Pleeze make shure that you use the spel chekker• Nothing maks you look more STOOPID than bad speling
10. Too much data
11. Bad colour schemes• Nobody can read this• And it looks horrible• So don’t even try it.• It’s not big• And it’s not clever!
12. Font• A font size that is too small•Or too big• Or uses an inapprOpriate fOnt style• Or uses too much emphasis• Is a waste of time
13. Animations and Graphics
14. “A picture tells a thousand words”
15. Suggestions for creating a good powerpoint presentation
16. Reducing the words on a slide• Often a powerpoint slide has far too many words on it for people to read properly• It is often a good idea to reduce the amount of words on a slide so that it has more visual impact• Try to highlight one key point per bullet until you can remember all the content when you look at that word• Then, remove all the other text on the slide leaving only the key words
17. Reducing the words on a slide• Often a powerpoint slide has far too many words on it for people to read properly• It is often a good idea to reduce the amount of words on a slide so that it has more visual impact• Try to highlight one key point per bullet until you can remember all the content when you look at that word• Then, remove all the other text on the slide leaving only the key words
18. Reducing the words on a slide• Reduce• Highlight• Remove
19. Using images
20. Using images from the Internet• Don’t steal images• If you don’t have permission to use an image, don’t use ithttp://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/http://www.sxc.hu/
21. Think like a designerArrangement Visual Elements Movement Contrast Background Timing Hierarchy Colour Pace Unity Text Distance Space Images Direction Proximity Eye flow Flow
24. Five theses of powerpoint design• Think about your audience• Communicate your ideas clearly• Help people see what you’re saying• Design not decoration• Display information in the best possible way for your audience