St. John Boys’ Catholic School Built in 1888 - It consisted of three classrooms along with a music and exhibition hall. The school was completely destroyed by fire on April 12, 1907. The building on the left is the Union Fire Hall.
This two story St. John Catholic Boys’ School was built by Father Gerard Bosch in 1910 at a cost of $16,240. It replaced the school that burned down in 1907.
The third floor was added to St. John Catholic School by Rev. Leonard Robin in 1949.
Father Jansen on the Left and Father Bosch on the Right Pictured with Students in Front of St. John’s Catholic School (date unknown)
St. Basil Academy (circa 1900)
St. Basil Academy (date unkown)
The beautiful Grotto and Statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, located on the grounds of St. Basil Academy, was dedicated by Rev. John J. Holtgreve on Sunday, April 14 1907.
Sister Mary of St. Justin (circa 1880) - The former Emily Neubig was the first person from Plaquemine to join the Marianites of the Holy Cross as a Catholic nun.
Blueprint of the College of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary Although it was intended to replace the college destroyed by fire on February 6, 1858, it was never built.
Public and Private Schools
Schoolhouse Church St. St. Basil’s Academy Plaquemine’s First Public School 1881 (Two room structure at Court and Church)
Plaquemine’s First High School This building was leased from the La. Presbytery in 1894 and was located on Plaquemine Street.
Public High School Years Later Showing the Expansion Enclosing the Once Open Porches Click to Enlarge
Plaquemine High School Built on the site of the original school in 1911
Plaquemine Union Negro Public School Located on the West Side of Marshall St. Between Court and Plaquemine St. (circa 1873 to 1880)
Dorseyville School on LaCroix Road in Dorseyville (circa 1891)
Class Picture at Union School in Turnerville in 1920’s
Alice Protton Private School in Turnerville (1903)
Shady Grove School, Originally The Home of Issac Erwin (built circa 1857)
Crescent School Located on Bayou Plaquemine
Hats Worn by College Students in the Late 1890’s (Miss Irene Pope, pictured third from the left in the bottom row, later married Dr. John A. Richard on January 8, 1902.)
Miss Lolita Daigre Taking the First Grade to the Zoo in New Orleans Picture Taken in the Inside of the Plaquemine Depot (date unknown)