November 1897 Levee Collapse   The levee was moved behind Bank Street.
R. G. Comeaux purchased the old bank building of Charles Cropper.  He had it torn down and hauled to his plantation in 189...
Reinforcing the Levee in 1912  - These buildings were on Bank Street before the levee was moved in 1898.
Buildings on Bank Street
This is the Roth McWilliams Building, the last remaining building after the levee was moved in 1898. It was dismantled cir...
High Water of 1912 -  Shown are   workers bringing up dirt on the ramp at the end of Main Street. The side street where th...
Miller Brother’s Store After the Floodwaters Topped Levee Near Indian Village (1912)
Convicts Repairing the Levee During the River High Water  (1922)
The convicts slept in these tents during the high water on the Mississippi River. (1922)
The Transporting of Dirt to Support the Levees in 1922 Click to Enlarge Pictures (Do not click in automatic play mode)
Sandbagging the River Levee Near Main Street  (1927)
Workers Preparing Boats to Rescue People Stranded During the High Water of 1927
Workers Launching Boats to Rescue People Stranded During the High Water of 1927
Boats in the Lock with Mattresses for Residents of Bayou Plaquemine (1927) g Click to Enlarge Pictures (Do not click in au...
Men Sandbagging the Bayou Past Indian Village on Bayou Plaquemine (1927)
Cattle Being Driven to Higher Grounds on Short Street in Turnerville (1927)
People and Their Belongings on the Levee (1927)
High Water on Bayou Plaquemine (1927)
Bayou Plaquemine Levee Breaks Above Jack Miller’s Store (1927)
Templet Fish and Mercantile Company Inc. Near Jack Miller’s Store (1927)
 
 
 
 
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Floods

1,259 views
1,182 views

Published on

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
1,259
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
2
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
12
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Floods

  1. 1. November 1897 Levee Collapse The levee was moved behind Bank Street.
  2. 2. R. G. Comeaux purchased the old bank building of Charles Cropper. He had it torn down and hauled to his plantation in 1898. The home of William Schlater was also torn down leaving only the Roth McWilliams Building.
  3. 3. Reinforcing the Levee in 1912 - These buildings were on Bank Street before the levee was moved in 1898.
  4. 4. Buildings on Bank Street
  5. 5. This is the Roth McWilliams Building, the last remaining building after the levee was moved in 1898. It was dismantled circa 1916, and the bricks sold shortly thereafter for five dollars a thousand.
  6. 6. High Water of 1912 - Shown are workers bringing up dirt on the ramp at the end of Main Street. The side street where the horse is seen is Seminary Street. In 1930 the levee was moved to the east side of this street.
  7. 7. Miller Brother’s Store After the Floodwaters Topped Levee Near Indian Village (1912)
  8. 8. Convicts Repairing the Levee During the River High Water (1922)
  9. 9. The convicts slept in these tents during the high water on the Mississippi River. (1922)
  10. 10. The Transporting of Dirt to Support the Levees in 1922 Click to Enlarge Pictures (Do not click in automatic play mode)
  11. 11. Sandbagging the River Levee Near Main Street (1927)
  12. 12. Workers Preparing Boats to Rescue People Stranded During the High Water of 1927
  13. 13. Workers Launching Boats to Rescue People Stranded During the High Water of 1927
  14. 14. Boats in the Lock with Mattresses for Residents of Bayou Plaquemine (1927) g Click to Enlarge Pictures (Do not click in automatic play mode)
  15. 15. Men Sandbagging the Bayou Past Indian Village on Bayou Plaquemine (1927)
  16. 16. Cattle Being Driven to Higher Grounds on Short Street in Turnerville (1927)
  17. 17. People and Their Belongings on the Levee (1927)
  18. 18. High Water on Bayou Plaquemine (1927)
  19. 19. Bayou Plaquemine Levee Breaks Above Jack Miller’s Store (1927)
  20. 20. Templet Fish and Mercantile Company Inc. Near Jack Miller’s Store (1927)

×