• The purpose of this training is to
enhance Family Resiliency by increasing
leader awareness and competencies, so
that when a significant event occurs (i.e.
deployment, death of a loved one,
unfaithfulness, bankruptcy, etc.) the
family in specific, and the unit at large,
might experience Post Adversity Growth
rather than Post Traumatic Stress.
Perception of Self
Purpose of Life
es inin rowth
R ra versity G
T Post Ad
st d o te rve
au ite In
at lf l itate
(Slide taken from office of Army G1)
Terminal Learning Objectives
• TLO 1: Extensively familiarize leaders with
resources to which they can connect Soldiers
• TLO 2: Equip leaders will some basic marriage
and family intervention skills.
• TLO 3: Provide leaders advanced training for
enhancing their own family relationships.
• Most of the marriage and family counseling in
the battalion is done by NCOs.
• Even our most experienced leaders could
benefit from a “field trip” to the various helping
agencies on post.
• Most all Marriage and Family problems are
directly related to other underlining issues.
• Phase 1: Introduction
– “Why Family Resiliency”
• Phase 2: Connect to Resources
– “Here’s who can help”
• Phase 3: Buddy Aid
– “You can help”
• Phase 4: Self Aid
– “Here is some help.”
Agenda (Day 1)
• Reception 0800 - 0815
• Introduction 0815 - 0845
• Commander’s Welcome 0845 - 0900
• TLO 1: Resources
(Post Tour of Family Resources)
• Youth and Child Services 0915 - 1000
• Army Community Services 1000 - 1100
– Family Advocacy
» Victim Advocacy / Anger Management
» New-Sole Parent Support Program
– Employment Readiness
– Relocation Readiness
Agenda (Day 1)
• TLO 1: Resources (continued)
• Family Life Chaplain (Main Post Chapel) 1115 – 1200
(Catered Lunch at Blue Room) 1200 – 1300
• Department of Behavior Heath 1315 – 1415
– Community Mental Health Services
– Social Work Services
– Family Advocacy Program
– Army Substance Abuse Program
– Joint Mental Health Services
• Military One Source (Blue Room) 1430 – 1600
• Spiritual Resources (Chaplain) 1600 – 1700
The Way Ahead
• Pilot Program: The 187th ORD BN is
conducting a test program on 7-8 July 2009.
Each company will provide a senior E-7 to
attend for Feedback.
• Frequency: Battalion conducts this training
every 4-5 weeks.
– Future Dates (templated): 18-19 Aug; 15-16 Sept;
20-21 October; 1-2 Dec.
• Endstate: All Platoon Sergeants / Site NCOICs
and 50% of Squad Leaders “trained”.
To Help Their Soldiers