Transcript of "Ask the Experts: Performing Arts & General Admissions Best Practices"
10/7/2013 #bbcon 1
Arts and Cultural Panel Discussion
– Ask The Experts
10/7/2013 #bbcon 2
• Introduce yourself to everyone at your table
• Introduce yourself to at least 3 people in the room you don’t know
• Introductions should include:
- Your first name
- Your organization and its mission
- Your role at the organization and tenure
LET’S GET ACQUAINTED!
10/7/2013 #bbcon 4
• Today is meant to be a forum; the sharing of your ideas is critical.
• Everyone’s input is equally valuable.
• Listen to and learn from those around you.
• Our role is to steer discussion, clarify points & facilitate input from all
• Take advantage of this time & enjoy yourself today!
WELCOME AND GROUND RULES
10/7/2013 #bbcon 6
• Introduction of panelist
• Planned discussion topics
• Questions submitted pre-conference
• Open forum
10/7/2013 #bbcon 7
• Jennifer Kilmer, Director, Washington State Historical Society
• Rachael Grygorcewicz, Director of Visitor Services, Lower East Side
• Jeffrey Leib, Principal Consultant, Jeffrey Leib Consulting
• Brian Stallings, CEO, TopTix USA
• Jay Odell, Vice President and General Manager, Altru, Blackbaud
PANELISTS – WHO ARE WE?
10/7/2013 #bbcon 8
To get us started, we’ve been thinking about what’s
going on in our industry. Some key themes that
came to mind for us are:
• Diversification of business and brand – why is this
• What is the consumer experience (before, during
and after)? How does this correlate to retention
and knowing the various constituencies?
• We know the importance of technology in being
successful. What are we seeing in the
marketplace to where technology is helping us be
more efficient and effective?
WHAT’S ON OUR MINDS?
10/7/2013 #bbcon 9
• Knowing Your Consumer. What Does Your
Consumer Want: It has been said that our
patrons/guests/visitors/members know who we are.
Do we know who they are, what they want and at
what price? What should we be doing or considering
in getting to know our various constituencies?
• Branding and Diversification: There is a lot of buzz
about diversifying our business and brand in Arts and
Culture to stay alive and relevant in an ever
increasingly competitive marketplace. First, do you
believe this to be true and if so, what should we all be
considering with respect to diversifying our business
• Social Media: Social media is a known quantity in
how we interact with our various constituencies.
What should have been occurring already (website,
Facebook, etc.) What are you taking advantage of
now or seeing in industry of what is to come?
ON TO THE QUESTIONS…
10/7/2013 #bbcon 10
• We’re seeing our membership growing at
our organization, but it’s not translating into
a similar increase in donations. How can we
encourage people to take that next step and
• We’re a small museum and trying to get the
word out in our community. Any tips about
ways we can promote our organization
without breaking the bank?
• We seem to lose a lot of our members from
year to year. What is a good membership
retention rate and how do we improve ours?
HELLO CALLER, YOU’RE ON THE AIR…
10/7/2013 #bbcon 11
Do You Have?
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.