Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
0
India rink
India rink
India rink
India rink
India rink
India rink
India rink
India rink
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×
Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

India rink

202

Published on

Green IT

Green IT

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
202
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
2
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Green IT in India Asia Green IT Forum 2009 -Vinnie Mehta, Executive Director, MAIT October 06, 2009; Tokyo, JapanManufacturers’ Association for Information Technology (MAIT)
  • 2. “The ICT industry is responsible for approximately 2% of global CO2 emissions. ICT solutions have the potential to be an enabler to reduce a significant part of the remaining 98% of total CO2 emitted by non-ICT industries and the public”. - Source: Gartner/HP/McKinsey/WWF 2
  • 3. 3
  • 4. The European Union (EU) has announced 20% emissions reduction target by2020 compared to 1990 levels; will increase this to 30% subject tointernational agreement post-2012.(2007)UK is aiming for a reduction of 60% below 1990 levels by 2050, with an interimtarget of 30%.Germany is aiming for a 40% cut below 1990 levels by 2020Norway will become carbon neutral by 2050.California’s climate change legislation commits to 80% reductions below 1990levels by 2050.China’s latest five-year plan (2006-2010) contains 20% energy efficiencyimprovement targets. 4
  • 5. Standardize: ICT can provide information in standard forms on energyconsumption and emissions, across sectors.Monitor: ICT can incorporate monitoring information into the design and controlfor energy use.Account: ICT can provide the capabilities and platforms to improveaccountability of energy and carbon.Rethink: ICT can offer innovations that capture energy efficiencyopportunities across buildings/homes, transport, power, manufacturing andother infrastructure and provide alternatives to current ways of operating,learning, living, working and travelling.Transform: ICT can apply smart and integrated approaches to energymanagement of systems and processes, including benefits from both automationand behaviour change and develop alternatives to high carbon activities, acrossall sectors of the economy. 5
  • 6. Smart motor systems: Optimised motors and industrial automation would reduce0.97 GtCO2e worth USD 107.2 billion.• Without optimisation, 10% of China’s emissions (2% of global emissions) in 2020 will come from its motor systems alone.Smart logistics: The global emissions savings from smart logistics - 1.52GtCO2e, with energy savings of USD 441.7 billion.• Smart logistics in Europe could deliver fuel, electricity and heating savings of 225 MtCO2e.Smart buildings: Better building design, management and automation could save1.68 GtCO2e of emissions worth USD 340.8 billion.• Smart buildings technologies would save 15% emissions for North America .Smart grids: Would globally reduce 2.03 GtCO2e , worth USD 124.6 billion.• T&D losses in India’s power sector can be cut by 30% through better monitoring and management of electricity grids,- with smart meters and by integrating more advanced ICT 6
  • 7. Govt. working on a legislation to tighten fuel efficiency standards, setvoluntary targets to improve energy efficiency, push solar power and use ofclean coal technology in power plantsGovt. to announce a sustainable public procurement policy encompassingcentral and state governments and PSUs including for ITSeveral Mission-mode e-governance projects of the Govt. of India havealready procured Green IT products on a voluntary basisBureau of Energy Efficiency, Govt. of India is working on energy efficiencystandards for Data-centres as also’ Energy Star Ratings’ for Desktops &Laptops to begin with.E-waste Regulation to be announced soon – focus on EPR/IPR/Take-back byvendors and ROHSIT Industry/IT Industry bodies strongly advocate deployment of Greenproducts 7
  • 8. India has to be a part ofthe solution..though wemay not have caused theproblem…- Dr. Manmohan Singh, Hon’blePrime Minister of India 8

×