Causes of World War I
-Pride in your country
-Building up of the
with other nations
• Nationalism: Pride in
-the hope to unite all
-The hope to unite all
Slavic language ,yet
it is controlled by
• Militarism: Building up the
-Military was built up for 2
1. To protect their colonies
2. Peer pressure
-They used a mandatory draft to
-Russia had the largest army,
Germany the best trained ,
Britain had the largest navy.
• Alliances: Forming
• Central Powers:
• Allies: Britain,
• To protect their positions
and to cut down on losses
both sides dug trenches.
• At night ,supplies were
brought in and scouts were
• At dawn/dusk attacks
came: hit then with
artillery and then go over
• Had to go through barbwire,
machinegun fire, craters.
• Problems in the trenches:
mud, rats smell body rot,
cold ,staying dry, maggots,
Why U.S. entered to WW I
1.Sinking of the Lusitania
-It was a passenger ship that was secretly
-a German submarine sunk the ship
-1,198 passengers died (128 were Americans)
-President Wilson demanded that the Germans
apologize and pay for damages.
2.Unrestricted submarine warfare
-Germany promised not to sink merchant ships
without first warning them and rescuing
-By 1917 Germany is defeating Russia on the
Eastern front they want a quick victory on
the western front.
-To do this they use unrestricted submarine
-sinking all ships headed toward allied nations.
-Zimmermann was a German official.
-He sent a letter to Mexico asking them to attack
U.S. in WW I
• General Pershing led the U.S. troops
• By 1917 Germany controlled Belgium
,Italy and N. France.
• 1918 Russia has a revolution and the
troops out of the war.
• Now Germany can concentrate on the
• By July 1918 of the U.S. have 1 million
troops in the war.
• We cut off the German rail lines which
attack through the Argonne Forest. It
takes us 47 days and 1.2 million soldiers
but we cut off their supply.
• By October ,1918 German lines are
• In November the allies have captured the
high ground and Germany surrenders.
• The 11 hour, the 11 day of the 11 month
in 1918 the war ends.
TREATY OF VERSAILLES
• Create new countries
-Russia: Poland, Finland, latria,
-Austria-Hungary: Austria, Hungary,
-Ottoman Empire: Divided up
between the Allies
• Punishes Germany
-Must take full responsibility for the
-Pay for the war $ 33 billion
• Created the league of Nations
-Organization of countries designed
to maintain peace; stability