Zimmermann was a
German official, sent
a letter to Mexico
asking them to attack
the United States.
In exchange he
Germany would aid
them in retrieving
some of the land that
we took from them.
Unrestricted • Caused the Sussex pledge
Submarine Warfare to come about.
By 1917 Germany is • Germany promised not to
defeating Russia on sink merchant ships with
the eastern front, they
won a quick victory on out first warning them and
the eastern front. rescuing them.
When they did this
they used unrestricted
Sinking all ships
needed, towards allied
It was a passenger ship
that was secretly
A German submarine
sunk the ship.
1,198 passengers died
They fired without any
demanded that warning, passengers on
Germany apologize the ship had no idea what
and pay for the was coming there way.
damage that had
Having a great deal of pride
in our country.
It started by the killing of
the Austrian archduke,
Franz Ferdinand and his
wife on 28th June 1914.
Pan German, unit German
Pan Slavic, unit all Slavic
In Bosnia 95% speak Slavic
language but controlled by
German speaking Austria.
• European Nations
started competing for
• They thought that
‘bigger was better’.
• Areas of conflict were:
Africa, Bosnia, Alsace
Building up strong willed
• Military was built for two people for the military.
– Protect there colonies.
– Peer pressure
• They used mandatory draft
to accomplish this.
• Russia had the largest army,
Germany the best trained,
and Britain had the largest
Alliances are forming partnership with other nations.
– Allies: Britain, France, Russia (United States).
– Central Powers: Germany, Austria, Ottoman Empire.
TRENCH • Problems in the
WARFARE trenches were; tons of
• To protect their mud, rats, horrible
positions and to cut smell, bodies rotting,
down the losses on unable to stay dry,
both sides of dug maggots, and lice
• During the night
supplies were brought,
at dawn war began.
• By 1917 Germany controlled: Belgium, Italy and North
• 1918 Russia has a Revolution and drop out of the war.
• Now Germany can concentrate on Western Front.
• July 1918 the U.S have 1 million troops in war.
• Cut of German Rail Lines, which supply their troops.
• Attack through the Argonne Forest, takes 47 days and
1.2 million soldiers.
• October 1918 German lines crumble.
• November the allies have captured high ground and
• The 11th hour, the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918
the war finally ends!
General Pershing led the U.S troops into war.
U.S in World War One
• Germany’s Punishment
Versailles – They must accept full
New Nations were created.
•Russia= Finland, responsibility.
Latvia, Lithuanian, – Took away their colonies,
Estonia and Poland.
coal field, areas of Alsace
Czechoslovakia, and and Lorraine.
•Ottoman Empire divided • Created the League of
up to be controlled by
– An organization of nations
established at the end of
WW1 to maintain world