• Digital Storytelling refers to using new digital
tools to help ordinary people to tell their own
• The product is a 2-5 minute film that combines a
narrated piece of writing, photographic images
and a musical soundtrack. The philosophy
behind this type of digital storytelling is one of
using technology to enable those without a
technical background to produce works that tell
a story using moving images and sound.
What is Digital Storytelling?
• Digital Storytelling is the modern expression of
the ancient art of storytelling. Digital stories
derive their power by weaving images, music,
narrative and voice together, thereby giving
deep dimension and vivid color to characters,
situations, experiences and insights.
“A story should be remembered for its soul, not the
bells and whistles”.
If you don’t have a good or powerful story, script,
and storyboard, then there will never be enough
decorating that technology can do to cover it up.
On the other hand, demonstrating exemplar
craftsmanship with mixing the technical elements
in artful ways to unfold your story creates
compelling, insightful, original and memorable
pieces of communication. The richness of a good
story can be diluted when technical elements are
over used, distracting, or just plain annoying.
The 7 Elements of Storytelling
• Point of View – What is the main point of the story and
what is the perspective of the author?
• A Dramatic Question - A key question that keeps the
viewer's attention and will be answered by the end of the
• Emotional Content -Serious issues that come alive in a
personal and powerful way and connects the story to the
• The Gift of Your Voice - A way to personalize the story
to help the audience understand the context.
• The Power of the Soundtrack - Music or other sounds
that support and embellish the storyline.
• Economy - Using just enough content to tell the story
without overloading the viewer.
• Pacing - The rhythm of the story and how slowly or
quickly it progresses.
• “First you jump out of an airplane – then you
figure out how to build the parachute”
• “Roll Sound” – Cameraman “Rolling Sound” –
• Digital Storytelling is more than words – it
empowers students to create and express
• Wide shots set the scene, medium shots what is
happening, close ups-emit emotion (especially
the eyes)- “Ken Burns effect”
4 P’s of MovieMaking
• Plan (Story Board - http://
www.storyboardthat.com/storyboardcreator-The “Blueprint”) - Scripting
• http://www.discoveryeducation.com/) –
Making the video
• Present (share, broadcast
voicethread.com) - Editing
• Pheedback (peer/self assessment) –
Copyright your own work
How to Integrate Digital Media into
Why use Digital Media in the
E = A
Critical Thinking Skills
Gardner’s Theory of Multiple
Integrating these concepts into the
• Making your own video focusing on the
aspects you want to teach.
• Virtual field trips.
As a Lesson Hook
As a Way to Integrate Multimedia into the
As a Way to Make Difficult Content More
To Facilitate Classroom Discussion
Benefits for Students
• Research & Writing Skills
• Organization Skills
• Technology Skills
• Presentation Skills
• Interpersonal Skills
• Problem-Solving Skills
The Holocaust: Then & Now
Search millions of photographs from the LIFE photo archive, stretching from the
1750s to today. Most were never published and are now available for the first time
through the joint work of LIFE and Google.
Here is the link.
National Archives Experience
Archival Research Catalog
Access to Archival Databases
Let’s Learn how to use the
video camera and tripod