Civic Ideals and Practices
What is Civics?
• Civics is the study of the theoretical and practical
aspects of citizenship, its rights and duties; the
duties of citizens to each other as members of a
political body and to the government.
• It includes the study of civil law and civil code,
and the study of government with attention to
the role of citizens ― as opposed to external
factors ― in the operation and oversight of
Standard 5 – Civics, Citizenship and
• “use a variety of intellectual skills to
demonstrate their understanding of the
necessity for establishing governments; the
governmental system of the U.S. and other
nations; the U.S. Constitution; the basic civic
values of American constitutional democracy;
and the roles, rights, and responsibilities of
citizenship, including avenues of
• A timeline is a way of displaying a list of
events in chronological order, sometimes
described as a project artifact.
• It is typically a graphic design showing a long
bar labeled with dates alongside itself and
(usually) events labeled on points where they
would have happened.