Listening is very important in business communcation. If you are a good listener you’ll be a good communcator. It is important and surprisingly difficult. Business people spend 45 to 63 persnet of their time in listening. All the time when you are communicating, talking, presenting, brain storming ideas, interviewing or being interviewed, collecting data, talking on the phone attending meeting all the time you are listening. There are different benefits of listening, you need more information and details which are necessary for your decesion making.You’ll learn, receive new ideas, you can understand people in a better.Why listening is difficult and hard ? There are various internal blocks to concentration. INTERNAL BLOCKS may make the listening process difficult, A major internal block stems from uour ability to think so much faster that a speaker can p possibly talk.Thr person may be talking at the speed of 125 wpm, you may process the words at the speed of 600 wpm. When you are listenening at a higher speed you have spare time during listening, and you indulge into different types of unrelated ideas, tasks and topics, like luchplan, playing match etc. You can be “tune out” of noise during the process , you can be distrubed by the various sounds and diffirent sound effects. The third internal block is emotional , your jump on conclusions, make your own choices and defend your position, judge the ideas. If all these blocks are there and effecting your performance you are the defective listener. EXTERNAL BLOCKS are the other blocks which disturb the listening of an audience, External Blocks may include the variety like Ringing tlelephones, clattering noise of typewriters and printer, change in the weather, shortage of time. Suppose you are not listening what will happen, your subordinate will not tell their problemes to you, your colleagues will not share anything with you, your customers will go somewhere else. You must have to prove be a good listner, it is your need , but how you can be an effective listner? By improving How you look, How you think, How you say.
How you look You must show your interest while listening.You must look alert, open, your poster will be open and comfortable one, facing the other person. In close posture is where you are notalert and not facing the person who is speaking, you are aggressive, closed arms nad proper gesture,your hands are on your hips or in pockets. Secondly your gesture if friendly and open it make your talker comfortable. Facial expression , Eye Contact (doesn’t mean staring but eye contact), Distance (2-4feet), No nverbal signa ls. How you feel and think . Good listening must be sincere and genuine, just nodding and maintaining eye contact. CONTROL YOUR FEELINGS, BE PATIENT , AVOID INTERRUPING, DON’T BLOCK COMMUNICATION, LISTEN FIRST, WMPATHIZE WITH TALKER, PUT YOURSELF INTO HIS/HER SHOES,DON’T MAKE EARLY AND DEFFICTIVE IMPRESSION ABOUT THE QUALITY, SEX,QUALIFICATION,COULOUR OR DRESSOF TALKER. Try to anticipate what other people are getting-- Mentally summariz the idea,----Taking notes in your head. ---Take notes on paper. What to say We must stop talking while listening, tolerate silence, you might say few things,----Ask questions, general question, clarification, reflect to talker,
Reading and your ability to read effectively is very important for your communication, if your reading comprehension is proper you can draw and extract the maximum of concept stated in writing.Reading comprehension is must for understanding and best communication results. How you can improve your reading comrehension? READING COMPREHENSION : There is a major block of comprehension. You don’t have direct contact with the writer and you have to consider the importance of this, you have to create the relationship with the thoughts of writer. You should involve in a sort of mutual dialogue with the writer and you will easily grasp the cocepts of writer.This kind of dialogue is called ACTIVE READING. Two methods of active reading are: ASK QUESTIONS: What is the main idea of this writing, what are the main points, what is the purpose of this writing for me, apply questions to the reading material and derive results.Questions before you start reading will increase your comprehension. USE RECALL TECHNIUQES: It may including summarizing in your mind or writing different notes. For recalling technique you can use STRUCTURING: you will structure the idea n some way, different levels and meanings will be used, Think about the subheadings, paragraphs and points in writing. You can do structuring mentally or by writing, you can mark the para or points. ANNOTATION : Underlining the idea, making short notes or footnotes, highlighting sentences. Effective readers highlght three levels of importance. You should highlight or underline the main idea or importat aspects, with circles, brackets, stars ccheck marks. SUMMARIZE:Summary is written in your own words, includes conclusion, main ideas, retention is increased by summarizing the whole idea for a longer time.... summary may be written, verbal or in the mind of the reader. READING SPEED: Reading is requires time and speed. Average reading speed is 250wpm that is very low and you have to develop a new technique to develop your reading speed. Reading you should be flexible, read different materials at different speed, don’t try to speed read everything, don’t try to read all the things in so much detail and care, in college you have to read each and every thing in detail but in business you will have to read only specifics according to you business need and requirements. a method of developing reading flexibility is called SARAS. Survey: Previewing the material, you read begining, end and structural clues. When you read a book, first you read title, contents and table of chapter(Begining), then you read the summary or conlcusion (End) and then see the different heading, style and division of book (Structure). Analyze:Analysis is based on your serveys. You’ll select what to read and what to not, how much to be read and how much to be skipped., here you define your pupose and you have to be specific what to read and for what. Read at Appropriate Speed: Reading speeds can be of three types: Speed reading(or skimming) rhythmic flowing of entire text,to gain general sense,at a very high speed,...sometimes we feel guilty when we read partially or we skip some contents, with practice you will become femiliar with the contents and different words used by the the writer, There are different finger patterns for the improvement of your skimming skills. General reading (or accelerating)for main and subordinate ideas, lines are read,texts and cases,for general material,increasing concertration. Careful reading (or phrase-reading) for main and subordiante ideas, phrases are read,efficieant eye fixatation is required, for difficult material.
Giving feedback: giving feed back is always hard and we know the people don’t like criticism and negation of their ideas and feedback is a technical aspect as well. Best feedback involves oral and written comments. as writing and speaking have different advantages and disadvantages, Speaking feedback: You can ask open ended questions to know more. You can read nonverbal signs of people when they don’t understand /disagree You can clarify question at the spot You can end in a positive tone even with bad feedback
Writing feedback: You can take more time to make it more proper You can be more detailed You can give permanent record or evidence You can get help from some one to take a look on your comments
Trust , your trust among the people is necessary requirement for the feed back if they don’t trust you they will not get your feed back properly. to create your trust you must include positive and negative points in your feedback.You must appreciate positive points. It is recommended that feedback should be started with the positive points and ended with the negatives. Try to avoid negative words even when describing negative things....you can replace weaknesses with areas of improvement etc. 1...Examine you own motivation.....you must set yourself for help not for creating problems. 2...Gain trust by using positive sense and words. 3...Include positive and negative points 4...Create sense of understanding ,Give attention to your comments and their concept that would be understood.
Receiving feedback : To receive feedback is also very important and necessary without that you can not underestimate the need of feedback. AVOID DEFENSIVENESS: dont become defensive while receiving. Exchange your ideas and concepts Don’t take the criticism of your ideas as criticism of yourself. Remember rejection of your ideas is not rejection of yourself People share their insecurity and uncertainty with you and behave like that If someone disagrees with you don’t immediately defend yourself or your ideas ENCOURAGE RESPONSE: You must encourage response and Encourage participants to give response Thank for response and feedback Don’t intrupt the questions of audience Don’t adopt discounraging verbal or nonverbal bahaviour Give time for feedback Reward and appreciate feedback
1. The Response: Feedback Business Communication Shafqat Jilani
2. Listening Skills
3. How You Look <ul><li>Your posture .... (open posture & close posture) </li></ul><ul><li>Your gestures </li></ul><ul><li>Your facial expressions </li></ul><ul><li>Your eye contact </li></ul><ul><li>Your distance or personal space </li></ul><ul><li>Your nonverbal signals </li></ul>
4. How You Feel & Think <ul><li>How you feel and think </li></ul><ul><li>Be patient </li></ul><ul><li>Improve your self-control </li></ul><ul><li>Don’t block communication </li></ul><ul><li>Listen first then speak </li></ul><ul><li>Empathize with the talker....put yourself into the his/her shoes </li></ul><ul><li>Don’t get overly effected by talkers look, dress, skin, colour, sex or style </li></ul><ul><li>Don’t take detailed notes, give attentions to words as well </li></ul>
5. What to Say? <ul><li>Avoid saying something unnecessary </li></ul><ul><li>Stop talking to yourself while listening </li></ul><ul><li>Ask general questions </li></ul><ul><li>Ask for clarification </li></ul><ul><li>Use brief phrases </li></ul>
6. Reading Skills
7. Pride and Prejudice Chapter 11 When the ladies removed after dinner, Elizabeth ran up to her sister, and seeing her well guarded from cold, attended her into the drawing-room, where she was welcomed by her two friends with many professions of pleasure; and Elizabeth had never seen them so agreeable as they were during the hour which passed before the gentlemen appeared. Their powers of conversation were considerable. They could describe an entertainment with accuracy, relate an anecdote with humour, and laugh at their acquaintance with spirit. But when the gentlemen entered, Jane was no longer the first object; Miss Bingley’s eyes were instantly turned toward Darcy, and she had something to say to him before he had advanced many steps. 79 of 593
10. Reading Skills <ul><li>Reading speed . (SARAS method) </li></ul><ul><ul><li>S urvey </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>A nalyze </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>R ead at the A ppropriate S peed </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Speed reading or Skimming </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>General reading or Accelerating </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Careful reading or Phrase reading </li></ul></ul>
17. Giving Feedback <ul><li>SPEAKING FEEDBACK : </li></ul><ul><li>You can ask open ended questions to know more. </li></ul><ul><li>You can read nonverbal signs of people when they don’t understand /disagree </li></ul><ul><li>You can clarify question at the spot </li></ul><ul><li>You can end in a positive tone even with bad feedback </li></ul>
18. Giving Feedback <ul><li>WRITING FEEDBACK : </li></ul><ul><li>You can take more time to make it more proper </li></ul><ul><li>You can be more detailed </li></ul><ul><li>You can give permanent record or evidence </li></ul><ul><li>You can get help from some one to take a look on your comments </li></ul>
19. Giving Feedback <ul><li>TRUST: </li></ul><ul><li>Examine you own motivation.....you must set yourself for help not for creating problems. </li></ul><ul><li>Gain trust by using positive sense and words. </li></ul><ul><li>Include positive and negative points </li></ul><ul><li>Create sense of understanding ,Give attention to your comments and their concept that would be understood. </li></ul>
20. Receiving Feedback <ul><li>AVOID DEFENSIVENESS : </li></ul><ul><li>Don’t become defensive while receiving. </li></ul><ul><li>Exchange your ideas and concepts </li></ul><ul><li>Don’t take the criticism of your ideas as criticism of yourself. </li></ul><ul><li>Remember rejection of your ideas is not rejection of yourself </li></ul><ul><li>People share their insecurity and uncertainty with you and behave alike </li></ul><ul><li>If someone disagrees with you don’t immediately defend yourself or your </li></ul>
21. Receiving Feedback <ul><li>ENCOURAGE RESPONSE : </li></ul><ul><li>You must encourage response </li></ul><ul><li>Encourage participants to give response </li></ul><ul><li>Thank for response and feedback </li></ul><ul><li>Don’t interrupt the questions of audience </li></ul><ul><li>Don’t adopt discouraging verbal or nonverbal behaviour </li></ul><ul><li>Give time for feedback </li></ul><ul><li>Reward and appreciate feedback </li></ul>