On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Second Language Acquisition
Lutfia Dwi J
Behaviourist Learning Theory
Language learning is like any other kind of learning
in that it involves habit formation (a habit is a
Behaviourism cannot adequately account for L2
acquisition. Learners frequently do not produce
output that simply reproduces the input.
A Mentalist Theory Of Language
The obvious enadequacies of behaviourist
explanations of L2 acquisition led
researchers to look towards an alternative
In the 1960s and 1970s a mentalist theory
of first language (L1) acquisition emerged.
1. Only human beings are capable of learning
2. The human mind is aquipped with a faculty for
3. This faculty is the primary determinant of language
4. Input is needed, but only to ‘trigger’.
What Is Interlanguage?
The concept of interlanguage involves the
following premises about L2 acquisition :
1. The learner constructs a system of abstract
2. The learner's grammar is permeable.
3. The learner's grammar is transitional
4. The systems learners construct contain
6. The learner's grammar is likely is likely
Those concept of interlanguage offers a
general account of how L2 acquisition
It incorporates elements from mentalist
theories of linguistics and elements from
A computational model of L2