What is quality?
Quality is the totality of features and characteristics of a
product or service that bear on its ability to satisfy stated or
implied needs. Quality meant different things to different
Quality is the perception of excellence viewed by customers
to satisfy their needs.
Quality is the sense of appreciation that it is better than
Quality, simplistically, means that a product should meet
Quality is ‘getting what you pay for?’
A product or service free of deficiencies.
Quality provides a product or service at a price the
customer can pay.
Quality is the fitness for use.
If the goods and services meet the given specification and customer’s
needs and expectation, they are considered of good quality, otherwise
of poor quality.
Customers who purchase a product or service based on quality have
greater loyalty than those who purchase based on price.
Elements or Dimensions of Quality
Dimension of quality for manufacturing products:
1. Performance: The basic operating characteristics of a
2. Features: Extra item added to the basic features.
3. Reliability: The probability that a product will operate
properly within an expected time frame.
4. Conformance: The degree to which a product meets pre-
5. Durability: How long the product lasts its life span before
6. Serviceability: The ease of getting repairs, speed of
repairs and courtesy and competence of repair person.
7. Aesthetics: How a product looks, feels, sounds, smells or
8. Safety: Assurance that the customer will not suffer injury
or harm from a product.
Dimension of quality for Services:
1. Time and Timeliness: How long must a customer wait for
service and is it completed on time?
2. Completeness: Is everything the customers asked for
3. Courtesy: How are customers treated by employees?
4. Consistency: Is the same level of service provided to each
customer each time?
5. Accessibility and Convenience: How easy is to obtain
6. Accuracy: is the service performed right every time?
7. Responsiveness: How well does the company react to
Factors affecting Quality
Engineering and design
Importance of Quality
Reducing cost of production
Helps to increase the market share
A quality management is a system used to improve the
overall qualitative aspects of goods and services. In other
words, quality management is a technique used to
communicate employees what is required to produce the
desired quality of products and services and to influence
employee actions to complete tasks according to the
Management activities and functions involved in
determination of quality policy and its implementation
through means such as quality planning and quality
assurance (including quality control).
Principles of Quality Management
1. Customer focus
3. Involvement of people
4. Process approach
5. System approach to management
6. Continual improvement
7. Factual approach to decision making
8. Mutually beneficial supplier relationships
Organizations depend on their customers and therefore
should understand current and future customer
needs, meet customer requirements and strive to exceed
Leaders of an organization establish unity of purpose and
direction of it. They should go for creation and
maintenance of such an internal environment, in which
people can become fully involved in achieving the
organization's quality objective.
Involvement of people
People at all levels of an organization are the essence of it.
Their complete involvement enables their abilities to be
used for the benefit of the organization.
The desired result can be achieved when activities and
related resources are managed in an organization as
System approach to management
An organization's effectiveness and efficiency in achieving
its quality objectives are contributed by
identifying, understanding and managing all interrelated
processes as a system.
One of the permanent quality objectives of an organization
should be the continual improvement of its overall
Factual approach to decision making
Effective decisions are always based on the data analysis
Mutually beneficial supplier relationships
Since an organization and its suppliers are
interdependent, therefore a mutually beneficial
relationship between them increases the ability of both to
Functions of Quality Management
Chapter end discussion
Current Quality Issues in Nepalese hotel industry??
-problems and possible solution???
-understanding the meaning and usages?