1. Setting Up an
17th March 2009
2. Presentation Agenda
•Basics of anaerobic digestion
•Applications of anaerobic digestion technology
•Where to start & what needs to be addressed;
plant design & technology provider
• Bringing together the expertise of BIOGEN – UK’s leading AD operator
with Greenfinch – UK’s leading AD technology provider
• British, family business with 30+ years of experience within the AD
• Team of 47 people based at either Milton Ernest and Ludlow
• Capability and capacity to deliver a fully integrated AD solution to the
agricultural, food, waste and water industries and to local authorities
• Responsible for the development of 14 plants to date throughout the
4. Anaerobic digestion: a natural biological process
Livestock Manure Energy Crops
Food Waste Sewage Sludge Glycerol
(N, P, K, C) (N, P, K,C)
8. Application of AD
Manure Energy Crops
Reduce Improve Diversion Renewable
Odour Nutrient from Energy
Management Landfill Production
9. Biogas Plant in Kerala
10. Ryegrass Biogas in Shropshire
11. Sewage Sludge Digester
12. Co-Operative Biogas Plant in Denmark
13. Two types of AD plants developing
municipal food waste
industrial food waste
14. What needs to be addressed?
•Plant design & technology provider
15. What are your project objectives?
•Enhance existing slurry management
16. On-farm biogas plants
•Type & quantity of feedstock?
On farm wastes & products
slurry- how long are animal housed?
what are the animals bedded on?
energy crops- do you have sufficient ground to grow in addition to animal feed?
what is the cost of crop production?
availability & seasonality?
feedstock guarantee & contract?
cost or gate fee?
18. Biogas Utilisation
Electricity- used on site or exported to the grid?
Price per MWh?
Heat- is their a use on site or could it be exported?
Price per MWh?
Tri-generation- production of cooling using surplus heat
Connection to the national grid- contact DNO.
•Upgrade to biomethane
connection to gas grid - contract for biomethane, price per MWh
use as a vehicle fuel
19. Digestate Utilisation
•Where will the digestate be utilised?
Is there enough land locally?
How much will the haulage cost?
When will the digestate be applied?
What storage is required?
Is a permit required for its application to land?
What cost is offset through less requirement for imported fertilisers?
20. Process Design
21. Plant Design & Technology Providers
mechanical, gas, liquid recirculation
external / internal
Digester feeding & discharge
pump, auger, gravity
•Will you get planning permission?
•Where should you apply to for planning permission?
County Planning Authority
Local Planning Authority
•What should be considered?
proximity to dwellings,
aesthetic appearance, etc
•Animal Health Agency