LSN Government End Of The Year Review QuestionsDocument Transcript
LSN Government End of the Year Review Questions
http:// nhs- hsa- review. wikispaces. com/
Use the following website
to answer these questions. At this website, you can view/ read/ listen to
presentations explaining each unit we have studied. You can also take practice
quizzes, review electronic flashcards of important vocabulary terms, and check
out links to other helpful resources.
Unit One Comprehension Questions:
1. Describe how a federal form of government works.
2. Compare/Contrast a representative democracy with a direct democracy.
3. In which form of democracy do citizens have the most power over their government—parliamentary
democracy or presidential democracy. Why?
4. Describe what a totalitarian government would like. What type of economy is often found in a totalitarian
5. Describe the following economic systems:
Type of Definition Who decides: Who decides: Who decides:
Economy What to How to For Whom to
Produce? Produce? Produce?
Unit Two Comprehension Questions:
Constitutional Meaning Example
Rule of Law
Unit Three Comprehension Questions:
1. What are some differences between political parties and political interest groups?
2. What is a “third party”? What are some obstacles they face in their goal of winning elections?
3. How do politicians and interest groups use the media to persuade Americans?
4. What is the most important item a candidate needs to wage successful campaign? Why do candidates need
Unit Four Comprehension Questions:
1. What is the census? How does the census play a role in Congressional reapportionment?
2. What does bicameral mean?
3. How does each of the following influence the lawmaking process? constituents, media, interest groups
4. List some of Congress’ enumerated powers. List some of Congress’ necessary and proper powers
5. Explain the purpose of the following Civil Rights laws:
Civil Rights Laws Definition
Civil Rights Act
Voting Rights Act
Title IX (9)
Unit Five Comprehension Questions:
1. What is the name of Maryland’s chief executive?
2. What do regulatory agencies do? List some examples.
Regulatory Agency Function
Food and Drug
3. What is the purpose of an executive order? Why can they be controversial? (Hint—think checks and
4. Define electoral vote. Why is the national electoral vote more important than the national popular vote?
Unit Six Comprehension Questions:
1. Compare and contrast the amount of burden of proof needed in civil law and criminal law.
2. Explain the meaning of judicial review. What course case established the principle of judicial review?
3 Know the precedents created by the 8 Supreme Court cases in the PowerPoint above.
Supreme Court Case Case Decision (8 words or less)
1. Marbury v. Madison Judicial Review Courts review legality of govt. actions
- Gives Court’s important power over other 2 branches
2. McCullough v. Maryland
3. Plessy v. Ferguson
4. Brown v. Board of Education
5. Tinker v. Des Moines
6. New Jersey v. T.L.O
7. Gideon v. Wainwright
8. Miranda v. Arizona
Unit Seven Comprehension Questions:
1. Compare/contrast two types of development: urban sprawl and smart growth. Which type of development
does a better job protecting the environment—why?
Urban Sprawl Smart Growth
2. Explain the purpose of the following Entitlement Programs:
Entitlement Program & Definition Source of Funding Number of People
4. What do the following economic indicators measure?
Economic Measuring Device What does Tool Measure?
1. Gross Domestic Product
2. Consumer Price Index
3. Unemployment Rate
5. Compare and contrast fiscal policy and monetary policy. What actions would each type of policy take to
help get the economy out of a recession/depression?
6. Describe the purpose of the following international organizations:
International What is it? Controversy