MARYKIRK RAFT RACE ‘09
26th June 2009
SO WHAT’S IT ALL ABOUT
• We raise money for Charity by:
• Having a good fun day
• Racing rafts down the river
• Goingto the Marykirk Park
afterwards for more fun
Note: Not connected with the raft race in any way
16: SMURFY MCSMURF SMURF
1 hour, 12 minutes.
A new record!
ITS A LOT OF WORK!
• Building a raft
• Taking it to the bank
• Hauling it out of the water
• Paddling it
• Carrying it over rocks
SO A VERY BIG THANK YOU!
• To all the raft race teams, for
all their hard work!
Note: Not a picture of a raft race member
RAFT RACE PRIZES!
• 1st Place: The Pirates of St Cyrus
• 2nd Place: Police Squad
• 3rd Place: Hillside Housebreakers
• Wooden Paddle: Smurfy McSmurf Smurf
• All trophies sponsored by Frank Walker Joiners Ltd, Marykirk.
RAFT RACE PRIZES!
• Best Dressed Raft: Water Ski-ers
• Best Dressed Crew: Sinkin’ Pink-un
• Most Sponsored Raft: Sinkin’ Pink-un
MARYKIRK PARK EVENTS
• Dog Obedience Display
• Highland Dancing
• Line Dancing
• Youth Group
Note: This dog was not involved
• We raise money for Charity
• And then we give half each to:
• CHAS - Childrens Hospice Association Scotland
• Local Charities and Groups
• Children’s Hospice Association Scotland (CHAS) is a Scottish charity established to
provide hospice services in Scotland for children and young people with life-limiting
• A children’s hospice offers professional care, practical help and emotional support to the
whole family usually from the day of acceptance, to the death of their child, and beyond.
• Rachel House in Kinross, Scotland’s first children’s hospice, opened in March 1996.
Robin House in Balloch opened in August 2005. Both hospices are purpose-built and
each can provide ongoing support for up to 200 families across Scotland each year.
• The CHAS at Home Team offers support to families across Scotland by providing a home care
service to families in their own homes when they need it.
• More at: http://www.chas.org.uk
• The Scottish Centre for Children with Motor Impairments, based at the Craighalbert
Centre, is one of Scotland's Grant Aided Special Schools. It provides day school
education for nursery, pre-school and school age children with motor impairments (for
example, cerebral palsy). The Centre also provides outreach services, family support
and periodic placements to children from across Scotland, as well as those who have
attended the Centre and are making the transition to mainstream schooling.
• They directly support one family in the village
• More information at: http://www.craighalbert.org.uk
THE RED CROSS
• The Red Cross are a volunteer-led humanitarian
organisation that helps people in crisis, whoever and
wherever they are.
• They have always attended Marykirk Raft Race
• They have always been a beneficiary of the Marykirk Raft
• More information at: http://www.redcross.org.uk
• Alzheimer Scotland helps people with dementia, their
carers and families. Our members include carers,
relatives, people with dementia, professionals, groups and
• Directly helping families in the village
• More information at: http://www.alzscot.org
• In honour of a local MS Sufferer
• Scotland has more MS than anywhere else in the world
•A regular beneﬁciary of the Raft Race
ROYAL BRITISH LEGION
• Many local Legion members
• Support many local causes
CANCER LINK ABERDEEN
• CLAN is an independent charity for anyone affected by
any type of cancer at any time from diagnosis
onwards. Whether affected personally, as a carer,
family member or close friend, our services are
available to you.
• Based at CLAN House in Aberdeen, we cover the whole of Grampian, Orkney and Shetland.
Some of our services are available to people living outside these areas, speciﬁcally CLAN Haven
and the CLAN Holiday Home.
• Directly helping a family in the village
• More information: http://www.clanhouse.org
• Macmillan Cancer Support improves the lives of people affected by
• One in three of us will get cancer.
• We are all affected by cancer. We can all help. We are Macmillan.
• Macmillan Nurses operate in Marykirk
• We specifically donate to the MacMillan Strathcathro Hospital.
• More at: http://www.macmillan.org.uk
MARIE CURIE CANCER CARE
• Marie Curie Cancer care helps with:
• The Marie Curie Research Institute
• Pallitive Care Research.
• More information at: http://www.mariecurie.org.uk
SCOTTISH WOMENS RURAL
• Local branch assisted on Raft Race day
• More information at: http://www.swri.org.uk/
• Marykirk Pensioners Club
• Marykirk Lunch Club
• Marykirk Football Club
• Bumps, Babes and Toddlers
• Marykirk Bowling Club
Childrens Hospice Association Scotland £2,090.00
Red Cross £261.25
Alzheimers Stonehaven Branch £261.25
Multiple Sclerosis £261.25
Royal British Legion Montrose £261.25
Cancer Link Aberdeen North £261.25
Macmillian Strathcathro £130.62
Marie Curie Cancer Care £130.62
Pensioners Club £43.54
Lunch Club £43.54
Marykirk Football Club £43.54
Bumps, Babes and Toddlers £43.54
Marykirk Bowling Club £43.54
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
• An AGM will be held soon, all invited
•A new committee elected
• Date to be published on the web site
• We NEED people to help on the committee:
• Lots of hard work, but lots of fun
• Please continue to support your local raft race
• Will be made available to all via the web site:
• Once the accounts are complete.
• At this point in time, the bank holds
• £4.00 !
• John Mears - Insurance • Marykirk Football Club
Marshalls and timekeeping
Gillespie - CHAS
Tommy Gemmell • Doug Mitchell
Judges Band Trailer
• Joe Wishart • Warren and Kitty Elsmore
An amazing MC Walkie Talkies, Stage PA
• Helenafrom Johnshaven • JohnStewart & Jim Rae
Running the bands Safety Boats
& Helen McDonald • Andy Nelson
Helping out in the Park Billy Dodds
• Frank and Iain Walker The strimming team
Building the stage
• Alison Thomson Water Support
Jack and Findlay Eeles
Saturday Setup • All
the bands for sharing
• Security at housing estate • Marykirk Lunch Club
Pallets and Steps Marykirk Primary School
Marykirk Bowling Club
• Pensioners and WRI Bumps, Babes and Toddlers
Rafﬂe Assistance Contributions and
Participation on the day
• Young Farmers
Last out of the Marquee • Olive
and helped move furniture Marykirk Hall Committee
Loan of Tables and Chairs
• MarykirkPrimary School • BarbaraOfﬁcer
Spongeboard Helping out in the Park
Organising the Childrens
Petshow • Clarkand Rose Aberdeen
Transporting Tables and
• Jacksons Tool Hire, Chairs
Generator for Band, • Derek Milne
Truck for moving Tattie Boxies
Bandstand, Operator for
Generator, Driving • Anne Buchan
• The TwistedFour • All Band performers
Organising and fundraising
the Twisted Ceilidh in • David Skinner
January Skinner Photography
Video of the event
• PC Stuart Akers
All the assistance during the • Barry Christie
day Projector and Screen
• The Camera Club • And you all
All these amazing pictures For contributing and
SAME AGAIN NEXT YEAR?
• Its your raft race
• Join the committee to help
• Lets make next year even better!