Notes meeting with councillor fletcher aug 3 2010Document Transcript
Meeting with Councillor Paula Fletcher
August 3, 2010, 1-2pm
Present: Councillor Paula Fletcher, Susan Serran (Executive Assistant), Dan Egan (City of Toronto,
Manager of Cycling Infrastructure), Michelle St-Amour (SoDa/BikeSauce), Anne Burbidge (SoDa)
- Paula asked what we thought of Eastern Ave. issue. Anne replied it has great potential as a connector
- Paula requested Paul's office to look into options for extending Eastern
- Dan mentioned it was not in Bike Plan.
- Paula and Dan agreed it might connect best to Adelaide, downtown
- Paula said she would like to see sharrows there all the way to Broadview
- Dan suggested we could install bike lanes instead of sharrows.
- Michelle added truck space is to be considered when it interrupts bike lanes.
- Dan said truck space and bike space could be accommodated here
- Paula said she would like the extension of Eastern to be at least over to Knox St.
- Dan & Paula expressed interest in removing the centre median on Eastern and installing centre bike
lane across Eastern overpass
- Paula said design selection is underway for Leslie and whoever wins it has to improve road up to
- She added there is a right-of-way issue that needs to be considered & that Paul Young has info on this
(near Price Choppers).
- Big picture goal is to get up to Queen St., Paula said
- August 4th & 10th there is a public consultation put on by TTC. (Planning to attend event on 10th.)
- Paula suggested we arrange a meeting w TTC point person, Lito Romano to state our interests. (We
- Report is underway on this. Huge project – 24kms, 14 BIAs & 10 wards involved.
- In September, Paula noted, there will be an opportunity to learn about the Bloor-Danforth
- She said to keep in touch with Dan to become involved in process, learn points of entry, legal
considerations etc. of EA
- Michelle reported the survey respondents were concerned about all main streets - Broadview, Queen,
Dundas... As well, respondents saw chances to improve connecting bike traffic across bridges to
- She said Nigel was helping to crunch data from the survey and more info should be available on this
subject next month
Paula's Idea re: TTC Subway Stations
- Bike storage is something she thinks should be figuring in plans at TTC stations with second exits so
as to encourage commuting to work by bike.
- She sees a chance to use some of "all that $" going to the TTC to be directed to such storage
- Donlands station, Greenwood & Woodbine all are going to commission and we can support this
storage idea by writing to Susan (Paula's EA) so Paula can present our/her ideas to the commission.
This way storage will be on the agenda. Andy Perruza might help in this regard since he's on the
- This idea is an important part of Paula's platform in the upcoming election & she sees it as a key
- Michelle suggested the "No Bikes (at certain hours)" sign on TTC stations be redesigned so as to
encourage multi-modal transportation. She added not many people know of the times when bikes are
permitted in the system.
- Paula suggested a graphic designer we know could submit a design to clarify this point.