1. Group Discussion A Presentation by: Ms.Charu Agarwal Business Development Executive Bioinformatics Institute of India
2. What you will gain after this presentation ? <ul><li>What is Group Discussion </li></ul><ul><li>Group Discussion Methodology </li></ul><ul><li>Personality Traits that are assessed in a GD </li></ul><ul><li>How to acquire those personality Traits </li></ul>
3. Group Discussion A formal discussion involving 10 to 12 participants in a group A methodology used by an organization to gauge whether the candidate has certain personality traits and/or skills that it desires in its members
4. GD Methodology TOPIC I A B H G F C D E Time to think about the Topic 5 -10 minutes . Time to discuss the Topic 15 -20 minutes . A-I Candidates
5. Personality Traits that are assessed in an GD Personality Traits that are assessed in an GD Leadership Flexibility Assertiveness Awareness Reasoning Ability Listening Initiative Inspiring Ability Creativity Team Player
6. Team Player <ul><li>One of the very important skill required in an professional </li></ul><ul><li>How to be an effective team player </li></ul><ul><li>Respect other person’s opinion </li></ul><ul><li>Learn to appreciate </li></ul><ul><li>Give others a chance to speak </li></ul><ul><li>Set an example </li></ul>
7. Leadership <ul><li>A leader in a GD exhibit the following qualities: </li></ul><ul><li>S/he shows direction to the group whenever group moves away from the topic </li></ul><ul><li>S/he coordinates the effort of the different team members in the GD </li></ul><ul><li>S/he contributes to the GD at regular intervals with valuable insights </li></ul><ul><li>S/he also inspires and motivates team members to express their views </li></ul>Caution: Contribute to the GD with your ideas and opinions, but also try and steer the conversation towards a goal.
8. Flexibility Must be open to Other Participant’s ideas Evaluation of your idea NEVER EVER START YOUR GD WITH A STAND OR A CONCLUSION
9. Assertiveness Put forth your point to the group very . Empathetically Positively Confidently Always Display positive Body Language
10. Awareness Awareness about your GD topic helps a lot in your GD content Must be well versed with the topic of GD Carries the maximum weightage
11. Reasoning Ability <ul><li>Plays an important role while expressing your ideas or opinions at a GD </li></ul><ul><li>Answers during the GD should be based on reasons and not </li></ul>assumptions
12. Listening Learn to listen to other participant's ideas and opinions Try and strike a proper balance between Expressing your ideas Imbibing ideas
13. Creativity Creativity in a GD is An idea or a perspective which opens new horizons for discussion on the GD topic is always highly appreciated. Try to Put across your new idea convincingly Out of the box thinking
14. Inspiring Ability Providing others an opportunity to speak / express their ideas is seen as an positive trait Caution : If a participant is not willing to speak, you need not necessarily go out of the way to ask him to express his views. This may insult him and hamper the flow of the GD.
15. Initiative <ul><li>Initiating a GD High Risk High Return Strategy </li></ul>“ Initiate a GD only if you are well versed with the topic “ Remember: You never ever get a second chance to create a first impression .
16. For Further Details & Enquiries Contact: Ms.Charu Agarwal Bioinformatics Institute of India C-56A / 28, Sector – 62 Noida – 2010301, U.P Tel: 0120-4320801/02 Mobile: 9818473366, 9810535368 Email: email@example.com Visit: www.bii.in THANK YOU