1. How to Enjoy eBooks on Your Mac & Nook A service of the New Hampshire Downloadable Books Consortium:170 NH public libraries working together to provide eBooks and audiobooks to NH residents.
2. What’s involved?• Download & install Adobe Digital Editions.• Get an Adobe ID to authenticate your computer and Nook.• Use your library card from a participating library to log into the site.
3. Why all the steps?• Our eBooks have DRM or Digital Rights Management.• Special software from Adobe strictly manages the two-week checkout period. (Including early returns!)• After two weeks the book you can return the eBook or wait for it to be automatically returned to the digital
4. Policies• Library users may have three items checked out at once.• Your cart will only remain active for 60 minutes. Any item not checked out in that time will be lost.• You may have ﬁve items on hold.• If an item on hold becomes available
5. Circulation Periods• Audiobooks circulate for 7 days and cannot be returned early.• eBooks circulate for 14 days and can be returned early.
6. Adobe Digital Editions• Find a link to the ADE software from the left sidebar of our site.• New Users >> Software Downloads• Click through to the Adobe site.• Or visit ADE directly:• http://www.adobe.com/products/ digitaleditions/
7. Install ADE• Click to launch the ADE Installer...• Install...• Conﬁrm installation...• The installer will download...
8. Installation continued• Select the destination to install the software.• Hint: It’s probably your Macintosh HD.• Provide login password to install software on your Mac.• Agree to the licensing.
9. ADE Setup Assistant• If you don’t have an Adobe ID, click on the link to “Get an Adobe ID Online.”• Enter your new ID (email address) and password into the ADE Setup Assistant.• Click the “Authorize” button to authorize your Mac.
10. Registering your Nook• Is the Nook new to you?• If so, you’ll need to register it with your Barnes & Noble ID and password.• After charging your new Nook for at least three hours, when you turn the reader on for the ﬁrst time, you’ll be walked through a registration process.• For Nook registration support see: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/
11. The Nook & ADE• After your have registered your Nook with your B&N ID, connect the device to your PC or Mac.• Open Adobe Digital Editions.• Adobe Digital Editions will recognize it and will authorize the reader.• If your reader is not recognized by ADE, close and restart the ADE program. ADE should immediately recognize the Nook and ask if you’d like to authenticate it.
13. Sign into the site• Sign into the site with your library card.• If your card number is shorter than 14 digits, check with your local librarian for additional information.• Some libraries that have short patron numbers have issued a preﬁx to help us keep our books better protected.
14. Finding eBooksClick on your preferred genre or see all ﬁction.
15. See Currently Available eBooks Check the limiter. Press the submit button.No need to “search” for a title or author.
16. Check out an eBook• When you ﬁnd an eBook you’d like to read, click on “add to cart.”• Titles will remain in your cart for 60 minutes. If you do not check out the book within 60 minutes it will be returned to the collection for someone else to checkout.• Proceed to checkout to complete the checkout process.
17. Open the EPUB (.acsm) with ADE• If you use Firefox, don’t try to save the eBook.• Instead, tell the computer which program which program should open it.• If “Adobe Digital Editions” isn’t an option, click on “Choose...” and ﬁnd ADE.• If you are using Safari or Chrome, download the ﬁle, ﬁnd the download location, and double-click to open (hopefully automatically) with ADE.
18. Find ADE with Firefox• If you are using Firefox and need to ﬁnd ADE, select Adobe Ditial Editions software in your applications folder.• The next time you download an eBook, ADE should be the default application to open the EPUB ﬁle.
19. Open the ﬁle (Firefox) • Now open the ﬁle with the Adobe Digital Editions software. • Safari and Chrome users should locate the saved ﬁle, double-click, and the ﬁle should open with ADE.
20. Your eBook opens...• Your eBook downloads in seconds to Adobe Digital Editions.• Note that you are in the “Reading View” if you can see
21. Authorizing the Nook• If this is the ﬁrst time plugging in the Nook after authorizing your Mac with your Adobe ID, you should be prompted to authorize the Nook with the same ID.• If you don’t get the prompt, close ADE and restart the program.• When the Nook is authorized, it will show up on the left sidebar of ADE while you are in the “Library View.”
22. From the “Library View” (see theupper-left corner icon), drag anddrop the eBook to the Nook.
23. Return an eBook• Unlike audiobooks, it is possible to return the eBook early if you ﬁnish it before the 14-day checkout period expires.• From ADE, click on the small drop-down arrow and choose, “Return borrowed item.”
24. Enjoy the eBooks!• After the title shows up in your Nook, safely disconnect your device and start enjoying your new book!• To safely disconnect, view the Finder, ﬁnd your Nook at the upper left sidebar, click the eject button.
25. Questions? Help?• Need more help? Have questions? Please contact your local library for assistance.• Here is how to reach the library: http://nh.lib.overdrive.com/Libraries.htm• Check out the NHDB ofﬁcial blog for news and troubleshooting tips: http://nhdbooks.blogspot.com