2. WHAT IS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY?o Derived from the Greek word technologia.o Technology is the usage of and knowledge of tools and techniques.o It is a means to enhance business means & competitiveness.o It is a use of computers and telecommunication.o Encompasses other information distribution technologies such as television and telephone.o Several industries are associated with IT like computer hardware, software , internet, telecom etc.
3. APPLICATION OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY Business & Commerce: One of the first and largest applications of computers is keeping and managing business and financial records. Education: With use of images, animations, videos, presentations and e- learning is a complement traditional techniques. Medicine: Newer concepts like robotic surgery enable specialists to perform surgeries from remote locations. Entertainment: The convergence of various technologies has created various options for entertainment like games, streaming music and video, digital television broadcasts, satellite radio, animated movies etc.
4. ATTRIBUTES OF TECHNOLOGY IN TRAVELLING
5. TRAVEL TECHNOLOGYHELPS; Save time, increase profits. Spend more time with customers. Easier to use, means less training. More features with a smaller investment. Plans your trips. Create maps for your travel. Find answers in the travel forums and travel guide. Arrange your travelers income.
6. INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY IN TRAVELLINGTravel technology includes:o Virtual tour: A typical virtual i-tour consist of an interactive map (image) with hyperlinks to other multimedia elements, such as video, audio, or simulations (virtual reality). CRS: Originally associated with the computer reservation system (CRS) of the airlines industry. E-travel or E-tourism: E-tourism can be defined as the analysis, design, implementation and application of IT and e-commerce solutions in the travel & tourism industry. Flight tracking systems: Increasingly used to describe systems for managing and monitoring travel, including travel tracking and flight tracking systems.
7. APPLICATION OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY IN TRAVELLING Dynamic packaging: Dynamic packaging is a method used in package holiday bookings to enable consumers to build their own package of flights, accommodation, and car rental instead of purchasing a pre-defined package. Dynamic packages are similar in that often the air, hotel, and car rates are available only as part of a package or only from a specific seller. Audio guide: Electronic device specially designed to provide audio, visual or textual content to museum visitors with or without user interaction. It may include accessories such as headphones, a digital pen and displays with LEDs or LCD screens.
8. CONT…o Pod guide or i-tours: It is an internet-enabled tour of a campus, region or city. Typical i-tour include multimedia presentations such as interactive maps, streaming video of selected sites, etc. Biometric passport : A biometric passport, is also known as an e-passport, e Passport or a digital passport, It is a combined paper and electronic passport that contains biometric information that can be used to authenticate the identity of traveler. GPS tours: GPS is used for tracking the direction of vehicles, duration of halt, to check over-speeding etc. GPS tours are transmitted to the user in "real time.“ In India, BMTC uses GPS technology.
9. WEB MODULE OPTION Website is built using XML based technologies. Update website activity descriptions & pricing at the push of a button. Specify which activities are to be published online. Automatically email client when a new reservation is received . Specify meta content for each activity webpage. Referring URL tracking. Affiliate tracking.
10. MOBILE BOOKING
11. AGENCIES Specify an unlimited number of agency records. Pre-set transaction type for each agency. Pre-set commissions depending on activity and agency. Track agents at each agency and their commissions.
12. TICKET QUEUE ON LINE BOOKING
13. BIBLIOGRAPHY Jacoby, B. (Ed.). (2009). Involving computer in students learning. San Francisco: Josey-Bass. Project Vote Smart. (2008). 2008 information technology [Brochure]. Philipsburg, MT: Author. Google and other websites.