2. Wine is an alcoholic beverage made from the fermentation and crushing of grapes. The grape juice is placed in open wooden vats, steel tanks, or oak barrels. The natural sugars and yeast in the grape juice interact to create ethanol or alcohol.
3. Making Wine - The Process
5. Harvesting the Grapes By Hand Mechanical Harvester When the grapes are mature they are checked to ascertain the level of sweetness and are then harvested.
6. Harvest Black grapes and Green grapes
7. Crushing of the Grapes To remove the juice.
8. The crusher - Stemmer
9. Primary fermentation This fermentation only happens in the case of red wine when the skin of the grapes are steeped in the juice so that the juice get the colour of the skin.
10. Secondary fermentation For white wine the juice is fermented in steel vats and red wine is fermented in oaken kegs.
11. The Reaction The fermentation stops when the alcohol level reaches 14-15%. Grapes Yeast
12. Ageing In oak barrels
14. Corking The cork of still wine is porous to allow the wine to breathe and to prevent it from turning into vinegar.