Prakruti B. Bhatt
The New Literature
The Sense Of An
Theme and Motif in
The Sense of a Ending
Roll: No. 12
Weakness of Memory; and Aging
• Why does Veronica’s mother
have Adrian’s diary?
• Why does she want Tony to
• What is her in intention?
• Memory becomes vague and
• “I don’t envy Adrian his Death, but I envy him
the clarity of his life,” Tony muses in old age.
“When you are in your twenties………….you
can remember your short life in its entirely.
Later, the memory becomes a thing of shreds
Class Conflict between Tony and Veronica
• There are two suicides:
• The First, Robson, who hangs himself after
getting a girl pregnant. “sorry, mum,” his
suicide note reads, according to rumour.
“Robson wasn’t exactly Eros - Thanatos
material,” comment one of Webster’s friends.
• The second suicide, a few years later, is
Adrian’s; we are first led to believe that his is
supremely rational, his own answer to the
philosophical problem which camus said was
the only real one. It then turns out that it might
not have been like that at all.