“The good teacher unconditionally accepts students as they
are, and expects them to become all they can be".
When I Become a Teacher
So you want to be a
1. Do you really like children?
2. Do you feel that you could work with all age groups?
3. Do you enjoy helping people learn new skills/knowledge?
4. Can you gain satisfaction from work in which there is
often no tangible sign of progress?
5. Would you enjoy working with children with special needs?
6. Do you have strong physical and mental stamina?
7. Are you comfortable managing 25 to 35 people at once?
8. Are you willing to work more than 50 to 60 hours/week?
9. Are you a person who is flexible and adaptable?
10. Are you a person who likes to learn?
Can anyone be a teacher?
Steps to Obtaining a
• Develop a professional resume
• Consider different formats
• Write a good cover letter
• Create a portfolio of critical evidence
based on the knowledge, skills and
attributes of quality teaching
• At the interview, show evidence of your
• They are not……resumes for employment
• They are….helpful tools to prepare a candidate for an interview
• The main purpose of a portfolio is not…..to get a teaching job.
• The main purpose of a portfolio is …… to improve the quality of teaching and thus the quality of student
learning through self evaluation and goal setting
• They are not….boxes or file folders of work samples collected from students
• They are…binders or websites that hold on-going stories of our beliefs, practices, achievements and
• They are not…a showcase of all of our work as a teacher
• They are….a showcase of our best work and records of growth and achievements as educators
• They are not….created by assembling course handouts of what you have learned.
• They are ….created through reflecting, selecting and evaluating products that demonstrate your
• They are not….a product of work that you complete for your first year of teaching.
• They are…..a work in progress that continue to grow and change as you develop further teaching
• They are not….a brag box to demonstrate your creative skills at scrapbooking to an administrator
• They are …..a process of evaluation that is meaningful to educators in terms of demonstrating
continuous professional growth and development
Portfolios and Plans
• Discussion: What is good teaching?
• Think Metaphorically. I am a ______________ or Teaching is a
• My teaching metaphor: “I am a gardener” – “How is teaching like
gardening?” Sliderocket presentation: http://www.sliderocket.com/
• Discussion: What are my beliefs about good teaching and learning?
• Why do I want to be a teacher?
• Brief Overview: Resumes, Professional Portfolios, Professional
Growth Plans, Setting Goals and Reflection
Portfolio Piece #1:Why teaching
Portfolio Piece #2: My Beliefs About Teaching
Portfolio Piece #3: My Resume
Portfolio Piece #4: My Professional Growth Plan
What do you want to learn this year?
Thoughts about Teaching
What do Teachers Make?