Inclusive Education in Alberta
In Alberta, inclusion in the education system is about
ensuring that each student belongs and receives a quality
education no matter their ability, disability, language,
cultural background, gender, or age.
Is anything missing?
“Fairness is everyone getting what they
need in school”
…Martha Kaufeldt. “Begin with the Brain in Mind”
Current Inclusive Education Issues:
-Students with severe problems
-Learning Styles/Learning Problems
How would you build a positive environment conducive
for learning for these students? What are their
learning needs? What are their learning problems?
How will you ensure that these students feel a sense
of belonging and receive a quality education?
Pick a Topic
• Choose a topic (12 people/topic)
– “Be it resolved that classrooms should be inclusive, and integrate all
special needs’ students“
– “Be it resolved that classrooms should be divided based on gender –
– “Be it resolved that ESL students should be integrated into regular
• Choose a side (no fence sitting)
– Affirmative (support of position –”yes” to question)
– Negative (opposed to position – “no” to question)
• Research topic (online, articles, Google Site, etc.)
• Our debate will be conducted online using the backchanneling web 2.0
tool called www.TodaysMeet.com
Research The Topics
“Be it resolved that classrooms should be inclusive, and
integrate all special needs’ students“
“Be it resolved that classrooms should be divided based
on gender – male/female classes”
ESL: English as a Second Language
“Be it resolved that ESL students should be integrated
into regular classrooms."
Join one of the following chatrooms:
1) Special Needs:
2) Gender Issues:
3) ESL : http://todaysmeet.com/ESLLearners