• Women are viewed as inferior to men during the medieval times.• They were accustomed to respecting and obeying their fathers and husbands.• Medieval women were meek and obedient most of the time; however, there were some exceptions.
• The women in medieval times took care of the household, as their counterparts were usually at war or fighting other lords for land.• Women had the opportunity to be leaders in society as well, the most famous being Joan of Arc.• Women were also employed during medieval times, contrary to some beliefs.
• Widows were able to own the land that their past husbands owned.• They held more responsibility than other women of that time period, and some rose to power through conquest just like men of that time.
• Women held many jobs during medieval times including: shopkeepers, bakers, spinners, alewives, farmers, and silk weavers.• Spinning was the most common occupation held by women.• These women were important to society because they made clothes that everyone used.
• Misogyny is defined as the hatred of women.• Misogyny is often seen as the general treatment of women during the medieval times by lords and other men in positions of power.
• Abbesses played an important role in the Catholic Church during medieval times.• Abbesses led abbeys of nuns and were the female superior in the Catholic Church.• Abbesses were able to make significant contributions to the advancement of the Catholic Church