Enhancing sustainability● Stakeholder consultation and user survey: identify key areas of value of digital collections● Enhancements to bind collections to the needs of stakeholders ○ Society ○ Librarians ○ Curators ○ Researchers ○ Teachers ○ General public● Post-implementation review
1. Interoperability● With other online life-science systems and catalogues ○ Natural History Museum ○ Kew ○ Open University● Linked data● API functionality● Emerging data visualisation tools
2. User experience● Overall presentation● Discovery and navigation tools● Evolving user expectations ○ Facebook ○ Twitter ○ Mobile / tablet interfaces ○ E-books / apps
3. Metadata● Enhance current metadata● Implement new discipline-specific schemas (e.g. Darwin Core)● General metadata standardsschemas (e.g. DBPedia)● Search tools● Linked data
4. Licensing● Assert intellectual property and investment of Society● Support legitimate use of materials and metadata (e.g. in blogs, teaching/learning resources, VREs)● Clearly expressed in human and machine- readable form
5. Revenue generation● Can we enable established or innovative revenue generating activities to support the upkeep of the collections?● Facilitate reuse of the materials● Advertising?
6. Digital Preservation strategy● Review existing overall DP strategy● Digital asset management processes● Enhance/update where necessary