growing and meeting the challenges both academically and socially
Easton is currently using some hybrid online learning programs but could reach it’s technology goals by expanding the program.
Easton area school district is currently facing many budgetary challenges along with teacher cuts. Supporting online learning is cost effective in providing a free….Possibly eliminating the need for the Easton Area Academy alternative education school.
Good course design begins with the end in mind, create the program by asking what is it that we want learner to be able to know or do. Once there is an understanding of what is to be accomplished and to whom the course will be delivered the course can be layed out in units.The objectives should be clearly stated, measurable and drive the activities. Assessments that are rubric driven and assignment specific are very effective. When students understand what is expected of them they tend to do better.Ongoing formative feedback and student involvement is important.
Did the classare there opportunities for the student to chose project topics?What is the student’s perception of the online experience are there adequate orientation to the syllabus, course and materials – are the guidelines clearly stated.is the content and materials adequate – too much or too little – qualityIs the course designed to allow collabrrative interaction with the student and instructoris the course management system easy to use?In the event of a technical problem how quickly and effectively was the problem resolved.
Has the Instructor set the ground rules for student faculty interaction? Has contact information been provided?Does the student demonstrate the prerequisite skills needed for the courseDoes the instructor give feedback in a timely manner and is it ongoing?Have deadlines for assignments been given?Is the instructor providing work that is challenging?Are the students allowed to choose projects respecting their diversity?Does the Instructor model what is expected?Has the instructor been adequately trained
Sunal et al have developed the….Such as the having the prerequisite skills, providing and seeking support from peers and instructor.Afford clear guidance, personalized communication, and ongoing feedback and supportWere there few technical difficulties and were they handle in a quick mannerDid all students have access to communications, discussion boards, social interaction and was the site well organized.
In other words is everyone on boardHave we answered our essential question which is what…Are we staying aligned with our mission and visionIs there collaboration between the students and the instructorWhat is the curriculum alignment like? Does content match curriculum?Has a set of competencies with assessments been created/What are the feedback mechanisms being used?Have the results been analyzed and the program modified?
1. Easton Area High School EVALUATING ONLINE PROGRAMS PRESENTED BY: BEVERLY KLEIN
2. Context of Easton Area School District Encompasses the City of Easton, the townships of Palmer, Forks, and Lower Mount Bethel, and the borough of Riegelsville. 63,000 people reside in a mixture of rural, industrial, college, urban, and residential- suburban areas History of tradition, its appreciation and celebration of diversity, and its inclusive environment. Student population ranges from low socio-economic status to upper class
3. Easton Area High School
4. Context of Easton Area High School Student enrollment almost 3,000 60.7% are Caucasian/Non-Hispanic, 19.2% are Black/African American, 16.2% are Hispanic, 3.3% are Asian/Pacific Islander and 0.1% are American Indian. Takes pride in its ability to address the many different facets of the student population
5. Mission and Vision Mission - The Easton Area School District respects the diversity of its student population and is dedicated to the importance of developing our students into responsible citizens. We will provide each student with an academically challenging program that enhances creativity, develops an ability to use technology, and encourages critical thinking and problem solving. In support of this mission, we will ensure a safe instructional environment and promote life-long learning. Vision - Educating for Life’s Journey
6. Current Technology Goal Expand opportunities to demonstrate technology being used district-wide. Include technologies that support curriculum and communication. Increase the online/virtual learning community Ensure technology can support online learning
7. Why Support Online Learning Provide a free public education in an online, collaborative and teacher-facilitated learning environment Provide challenging learning opportunities in all academic areas including AP courses Provide additional avenues within our district for drop-outs, charter and home school students Cost effective Can enrich adult community learners as well Meeting the technology goal for the strategic plan
8. Create the Program Encourage department ownership – people support what they help to create Establish competencies to address goals of program Who is the target audience Develop a set of curriculum maps linked to course or module Course activities with assessments Develop feedback mechanisms Analyze results Modify areas of need
10. Course Evaluation Present an opportunity for learning Learner focused Orientation to course and materials Interaction with students and instructor Self assessment Course Management System Adequate technical support Access to Resources
11. Instructor Evaluation Encourages Student-Faculty Contact Encourages Cooperation Among Students Encourages Active Learning Gives Prompt Feedback Emphasizes Time on Task Communicates High Expectations Respects Diverse Talents and ways of working Ability to model technology On-going Training and Professional Development
12. Administrator Evaluation of Instructor Checklist for Online Interactive Learning (COIL)  Measureable outcomes look at four areas  Student behaviors meet criterion  Faculty-student interactions  Provision of technology support  Learning environment that is well structure Online Course Evaluation Rubric could be effectively used by Administrator Peer Review and Mentoring is another effective means of faculty evaluation.
13. Program Evaluation Are all faculty engaged in the project? Does the curriculum meet stakeholder needs? What do we want our students to know and be able to do? Are we aligned with our mission and vision? Is there collaboration? Does content match curriculum? Do discipline and nondiscipline courses support one another? Develop a set of competencies Develop feedback mechanisms Analyze results of feedback and modify curriculum
14. Student Assessment Evaluation Computer-generated and scored test and quizzes Internet-based research projects Peer review and assessment technologies Internet based case studies WebQuests Student surveys Student assessments and analysis of final projects Portfolio analyses Online journals
15. Technology Evaluation Computer accessibility Technology support is available Course links and resources work Technology issues are addressed and resolved in a timely manner Network is monitored and updated as needed
16. Works Cited “Easton Area School District – Photos, Mission and Vision Statement, and Strategic Plan.” Easton Area School District – Educating for Life’s Journey. Easton Area School District, n.d. Web. 19 July 2012. www.eastonsd.org Microsoft Clip Gallery – Microsoft Office 2010. Palloff, R. M. and Pratt, K. (2009). Assessing the online learner: Resources and strategies for faculty. San Francisco, Jossey-Bass, p. 29- 64.