The Editing Process The method taken to edit our music video
When we first uploaded footage, which happened to be fireworks which we then didn’tinclude in our video, we only had to upload each piece of footage, and cut it down intosections that we thought we may use. This process was one we were used to, havingdone it for our thriller last year, and so was useful to help us remember the first simpleparts of editing. We also put the two pieces of text with our names, candidate numbers,and music video title on, so that we could adjust the music to be in time with the videofrom the start, without having to change it all at the end when adding the text, as thiswould make it out of time.
The first part of the video, filmed in Tom’s room, we wanted to match the beat of themusic, which was quite fast, so we had to make each shot really short, and get it tojump cut to the next shot at exactly the right time. As can be seen here, each shot wasreally small, and had to be edited zoomed in to get it accurate.
These 3 consecutive shotshave jump cuts betweenthem, the first of whichoccurs on the lyrics “lookingoutside” which isappropriate. It’s followed bya panning shot, and sets thescene for the story.
One thing we had to do this year much more than last year is control the visibility of each shot,as this year we used more than one layer, unlike for the thriller. This was similar to what we hadto do with the sound last year. When the black dots are placed at the top of a shot, it means thisshot is visible, when it is at the bottom, it is not. If the line goes up or down at an angle, then itwill gradually come into view, and when this is done with two shots, it fades between the two.This is beneficial as it means one long continual shot can be placed onto the time line, forexample the band, or Charlie singing, then it can be cut in and out where appropriate.
The first shot of the four boys andtheir paper is when Charlie and Tomhave it the wrong way round. Weuploaded all of them, made them thecorrect length of footage to fit thechorus, and put them in time with thesong by adjusting the speed of eachclip, then made a split screen, so eachof the four layers could be seen in acorner of the shot.
We discovered that Charlie’s footage, onthe right, was too quick , and he did notswitch boards with Tom at the correcttime, so we had to alter the speed andslow him down much more than theother three, to make him switch in timewith Tom. Luckily, it’s barely noticeable,and remains effective, as if they arereally switching over across shots.
Below is a screenshot of all the footage. We named each capture as we went along, inorder to remain organised in terms of what was in each piece of footage, as there was alot more than for the thriller last year. We also kept it relatively grouped, whether it be each of the boys, ripping up the picture, in Tom’s room, at the park, in Party Go Go, in London, or the band scene.
Like the shots in Tom’s bedroom at the beginning of the video, this sequence with thepens had to be edited quite quickly also, and it can be seen again that the shots are closetogether, so that they are in time with the music. The way we changed the order of thepens on the right in each shot, but kept them in the same place also looks effective.
Towards the end of the project, when we had lots of footage uploadedand in place for the video on Final Cut, have to re render footagebecame a pain, as it would take as long as 15 minutes, for only littlebits of footage, hindering progress made.