2. Definition of Private Cloud
• Private cloud is a cloud infrastructure
operated solely for a single
organization, whether managed internally or
by a third-party and hosted internally or
3. What is Eucalyptus
• Eucalyptus is open source software for
building AWS-compatible private and hybrid
• It works as an orchestration layer between the
hypervisor and the operating system.
• It is written in Java and C
• It can accessed through euca2ools API or
Eucalyptus User Console GUI
• Eucalyptus has six components including
VMware broker as an optional component
• All the components must be installed in the
• CPU may be either Inter or AMD of dual core
processors with minimum 2GHz clock speed.
• Operating system must be Centos 6 or RHEL 6.
Eucalyptus supports x64 architecture only.
• Each NC needs a minimum of 4 GB RAM and
machine needs 30GB of storage.
• Each components must have at least one NIC for
• Understand the architecture.
– Normal or HA
• Understand the cloud, cluster and node
• Planning the network modes.
• Planning the features
• Configuring the dependencies
7. High Availability
• In a high availability (HA) configuration, a
failure of any single component will not cause
the system to halt.
• Use the FASTSTART automated installation
with Centos and KVM preconfigured
• Install Eucalyptus from release packages
• Install Eucalyptus from nighty packages
9. Configuration and Start-up
• Configure Network Modes and Loop devices.
• Start the eucalyptus components.
– E.g. # service eucalyptus-cloud start (start the
• Verify the startup using netstat command.
• Register the components
• Configure the Runtime environment
10. Launch VM instance
• Source the eucarc and unzip it.
– # source eucarc
• Find the images.
– # euca-describe-images
• Add keypair and change permissions
– # euca-add-keypair newkey > newkey.private
– # chmod 0600 newkey.private
• Run the instance
– # euca-run-instances –k newkey <imageid> –t m1.small
• Check the instance
– euca-describe-instances <instance id>
11. Pros and Cons of Private Cloud
No defined limits to scale up
High Initial and Maintenance cost
Restricted Availability locations
Slower to deploy than public cloud