1. • It’s a Special Day… we will take some time to discover why…and how to make everyday special!
2. My Belief• Every single person can make a change…this can create a spiral effect to SAVE our world.
3. BE RESPONSIBLE• I am the ONLY person RESPONSIBLE for my behavior.• I choose to recycle…to make the world better place for my family.• I choose today to introduce and challenge each of you to RECYCLE!
4. Get a Recycling Bin!
5. Plastic bags.. Don’t haveto be eatento harm the animals
6. Statistics:• In 2006, Americans drank about 167 bottles of water each, but only recycled an average of 23 percent. That leaves 38 billion water bottles in landfills.• Bottled water costs between $1 and $4 per gallon and 90 percent of the cost is in the bottle, lid and label.• According to the Beverage Marketing Corp, the average American consumed 1.6 gallons of bottled water in 1976. In 2006 that number jumped to 28.3 gallons.• It takes over 1.5 million barrels of oil to manufacture a year’s supply of bottled water. That’s enough oil to fuel 100,000 cars.• www.franklygreen.com
7. Plastic Bottles• Eight out of 10 plastic water bottles become landfill waste.• In 2007 we spent £16 billion on bottled water. That’s more than we spent on iPods or movie tickets.• Plastic bottles take 450-700 years before they begin to decompose in a landfill.• If everyone in NYC gave up water bottles for one week they would save 24 million bottles from being land filled; one month would save 112 million bottles and one year would save 1.328 billion bottles from going into the landfill.
9. This Picture Represents theAmount of Plastic Bottles Thrown Away Every 5 Minutes
10. My Change• Buy a PUR water purifier for your faucet.• Buy a large plastic container to keep in the refrigerator for a constant “cold” water supply…• Buy a container to take places
11. What OtherChanges can we make?
12. How To Conserve Energy and Water• Shut the water off while brushing your teeth…or brush your teeth in the shower!• Put a bucket in your shower to capture water…use it to water your plants.• Shut off the water while washing the dishes (by hand)• Use less electricity in the summer by running appliances in the early morning or late evening…run “full” loads
13. What happenswhen the landfills are full?
14. Is it a problem if we don’t acknowledge it?
15. “It” is in ourhands!
16. Is “It” Possible?• Is the feat possible… or will we fail?• Only time will tell…but without trying…• WE FAIL.