1. Gender? male femaleWhen conducting my questionnaire I decided to hand more of my questionnaires out to females asthey tend to buy music magazines more frequently than males. Although I handed more out tofemales as you can see on my graph I did hand a large percentage out to males. 2. What is your age? 14-16 17-19 20-24As you can see half of the people I handed my questionnaire to are in the age range 14-16 this is dueto the age range of college. Although there are many in the age range of 4-16 I also made sure I gotviews of people in the other age ranges by asking the second years and some adults outside of thecollege. 3. What age did you start listening to music?
10 9 8 7 6 5 Series1 4 3 2 1 0 4 _7 8_11 12_14 Many people in the questionnaire started listening to music at the early ages of 4-7, this tells me that when I am setting my target audience that no matter how young I set it the audience will always know what I’m talking about as they have been listening to music for a while. 4. How much money would you pay for a magazine? £3-£5 £1-£3 Series1 £0-£1 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 Most people said they would pay around £2.50 for a magazine. This is helpful as I know what I should price my magazine at and I know what the average student would pay for a magazine. I also found that if there is a lot of contents to the magazine people would be more likely to pay £3-£5 for a magazine.
5. How often do you buy a magazine? monthly weekly anually otherAs you can see the majority of the questionnaires came back saying people would but a musicmagazine monthly. This is helpful as I now know when to publish my magazine, many people saidthey would buy one monthly as they only have the money then. 6. What is your favourite colour? 4.5 4 3.5 3 2.5 2 Series1 1.5 1 0.5 0 blue red purple pink green yellow brown otherMany people stated that their favourite colour was blue, red, purple or green. With this is mindmaking my colour scheme will now be a lot easier as using these bold colours will catch the readerseye and entice them into reading the magazine.
7. At what age did you start listening to your preferred genre of music? 9_13 14-15 15-17 This was pretty even as 6 people put 9-13, 8 people put 14-15 and 6 people put 15-17. Thismakes it difficult to set an age to start my target audience at as many people started listening toR’n’B music at different times. With this is mind I am going to set it at the age of 14 as it is in themiddle therefore giving everyone the opportunity to read the magazine. 8. Do you prefer an informal or formal magazine? informal formal When doing the questionnaire I found out that more people liked an informal magazine to aformal magazine. This means that I must now use informal language and slang to make the readerfeel more settled when reading the magazine as they should be reading it for their enjoyment. 9. What features would you like to see in a music magazine? (please circle 3)
16 14 12 10 8 Series1 6 Series2 4 Series3 2 0 interview reviews upcoming news tour dates other artista and events Most people circled the 3 features; interviews, reviews and news. This means that Ishould try and include at least 2 of these things to satisfy my readers and so that they don’t getbored. Also people took an interest in ‘upcoming artists and events’ therefore meaning I shouldinclude that within my magazine as it shall keep my readers interested. 10. Who is your favourite musician? adele jay-z ed sheeren Out of the three artists I gave on the questionnaire the majority of the readers selectedAdele and Ed Sheeren. This shows that most people like the new and un-discovered artists nowmore than Jay-Z. Therefore I should focus my magazine on the newer musicians as that’s what mytarget audience want to see.
11. Where would you buy a music magazine? 9 8 7 6 5 Series1 4 Series2 3 2 1 0 news agents supermarket music venue The majority of people voted that they would buy a music magazine at a supermarket or amusic venue. This means that I would have to advertise my magazine in the local supermarkets andmusic stores like; ASDA, HMV or TESCO. 12. How would you prefer to have your front cover lay out? 18 16 14 12 10 Series1 8 Series2 6 4 2 0 very informative quite informative just the photoMany people said they would like their front cover to be quite informative, therefore I shouldn’t justleave the photo with no information about what’s happening in the magazine etc. with this said Ishouldn’t bombard the front cover with t much information so they cant read or see the picture asyou do not want the reader to feel lost on just the front cover. 13. What is your favourite type of artist?
solo band When asking the people what they preferred; band or solo performers the majority of the peoplesaid they preferred solo performers. With this is mind I have now found a solo performer tointerview. 14. Do you prefer interviews or personal reviews of artists? 14 12 10 8 interviews 6 reviews 4 2 0 1 2The majority of people said they preferred interviews to personal reviews therefore I must interviewan artist instead of doing my own personal review of an artist or a concert. Although some peoplesuggested personal reviews were better I can only do 1 and I must tend to the need of the majority. 15. At what age do you believe you will end listening to R’n’B music
20-24 25-29 30+ When asked most people said they believe they will end listening to R’n’B music atthe ages of 25-29. This means I must set my target audience at about 27 so that the majority ofpeople are able to read the magazine. 16. What would convince you to buy a magazine? 12 10 8 6 Series1 Series2 4 2 0 front cover contents price other When asked this question most people said that the front cover will entice them into buyinga magazine. Now knowing this I must make sure my front cover is an eye catcher and that peoplewill want to buy the magazine after seeing the front cover.
17. Do you regularly buy music magazines? no yes This question enabled me to understand if people actually buy magazines. Luckily they do sotherefore I can carry on producing my magazine.