1. City of Rock Hill Sustainable Operations PlanProject Workshop 8.21.12 – 8.22.12
2. Who are we? BEN M. BEN H. FRED Project Officer Project Manager QA/QC Officer Chad Critcher, PE, AICP LEED , William Todd, PE, CEM, LEED Paul Hutchins, PhD, PE, CEM, AP BD+C BD+C LEED AP Deputy PM / Principal Investigator Ben Moore, LEED GA Project Team Beverly Davis, AICP Ben Huron, CHMM Paul Mehaffy, PE, LEED AP* Candace Dorn, LEED AP Frederick Jones, AICP Nathan Stinnette Hugh Giggleman, PE* Chi Lui, PE, CEM, CxA, LEED AP Matt Thoele, EI, LEED AP
3. Award-Employee winning Owned Tradition Multi- to 1941 Discipline Staff Office locations Past sustainability projects
4. What are we doing? Implementation Sustainable Planning Planning Efficiency Public Facilities Facilitation Regulatory Framework Baseline Assessment
5. Where are we now? Planning Baseline Info Kick-off Assess- Facilities Request ment Regulatory Interim Implementation Workshop Planning Findings (Funding & Next on Site (SMPs) Memo Steps) Draft Final Future Report Report Phases… Complete In Progress Incomplete
7. Workshop Agenda1. Awareness2. Baseline3. Creative Strategies4. Develop a Plan
8. Agenda: Day 1(1:00 PM – 5 PM)Step Agenda Item: Workshop Tool TimeAwareness 1. Introduction Icebreaker 45 min 2. Develop an awareness of sustainability 3. Discuss what sustainability means to the City of Rock HillBaseline 1. Review and discuss baseline data and Baseline 1.0 hrs findings Assessment 2. Break Break 15 min 3. Continue review and discussion of baseline Baseline 45 min data and findings Assessment 4. Identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities SWOT Analysis 1.25 hrs and threats.
10. What is Sustainability?“Sustainable development isdevelopment that meets the needs ofthe present without compromisingthe ability of future generations tomeet their own needs.” Brundtland Commission, 1987
18. City of Rock Hill Sustainable Operations PlanProject Workshop 8.21.12 – 8.22.12
19. Agenda: Day 2Day 2 (8:00 AM – 12:00 PM)Step Agenda Item: Workshop Tool TimeDay 1 Review 1. Review SWOT SSA 30 min 2. Discuss Significant Sustainability AspectsCreative Strategies 1. Identify the gap between desired future vision for City of Rock Hill and current Backcasting 1.0 hrs reality. a. Reflect on Baseline b. Establish overall sustainability goal/vision for each aspect 2. Identify Creative Strategies to help close the gap between the future vision and the present situation. a. Establish interim goals for each aspect b. Identify strategies of interest 3. Break Break 15 min Continue Backcasting exercise Backcasting 45 minDevelop a Plan 1. Evaluate strategies with respect to their potential benefit: Draft SMP 1.0 hrs a. Determine if strategies move City in the Right Direction, provide Return on Investment, and work as Launching Points for more ambitious measures.Review 1. Review and establish consensus Next Steps 30 min 2. Next Steps 3. Closing Remarks
21. Significant Aspects1. Land Use & Transporation2. Energy3. Fleet4. Waste5. Water
22. Creative Strategies“The best way to predict the future is to create it.” -Peter F. Drucker Backcasting: Backcasting is about deciding what future is desired, then identifying steps to achieve it.
23. Creative StrategiesBackcasting: Vision• Envision a more sustainable future• Reflect on the baseline and consider the gap Baseline
24. Creative StrategiesBackcasting: Vision• Come up with strategies to bridge the gap Strategy Baseline
25. Evaluate Strategies • Does it generate a return on investment? • Does it move us in the right direction? • Does it provide a starting point?
26. SMP Sustainability Management Plan
27. Backcasting1. Write down an ambitious 20 year goal2. Consider gap between the goal & today3. Write down goals for years 5, 3 and 14. Brainstorm Creative Strategies5. Schedule strategies by cost6. Identify a Metric for measuring progress
28. Conduct Backcasting
29. Conduct Backcasting Significant 1 Year 3 Year 5 Year 20 Year / Long TermSustainability City of Rock Hill City of Rock Hill City of Rock Hill City of Rock Hill Aspect 1 Year Goal: 3 Year Goal: 5 Year Goal: Ambitious 20 Year Goal: Strategy: Strategy: Strategy: Strategy: Metric: Metric: Metric: Metric:Choose One: Cost: High Med Low Cost: High Med Low Cost: High Med Low Cost: High Med Low Strategy: Strategy: Strategy: Strategy: Energy Metric: Metric: Metric: Metric: Water Cost: High Med Low Cost: High Med Low Cost: High Med Low Cost: High Med Low Strategy: Strategy: Strategy: Strategy: Waste Metric: Metric: Metric: Metric: Fleet Cost: High Med Low Cost: High Med Low Cost: High Med Low Cost: High Med Low Strategy: Strategy: Strategy: Strategy: Planning Metric: Metric: Metric: Metric: Cost: High Med Low Cost: High Med Low Cost: High Med Low Cost: High Med Low