1. Republic of the PhilippinesDepartmen of EducationRegion VII, Central VisayasCOGON HIGH SCHOOL EVENING CLASSSan Jose St., Cogon District, Tagbilaran CityMay 28, 2013Session 2INSET TRAINING1
2. 2Session Title: The National Competency-Based Teacher Standards(NCBTS)Key understandings to be developedThe National Competency Based Teacher Standards(NCBTS) is an integrated theoretical framework thatdefines the different dimensions of effective teaching,where effective teaching means being able to help alltypes of students learn the different learning goals in thecurriculum.
3. 3The Domain of Diversity of Learners emphasizes the ideal thatteachers can facilitate the learning process in diverse types oflearners, by first recognizing and respecting individual differences,then using knowledge about students’ differences to design diversesets of learning activities to ensure that all students can attainappropriate learning goals.Curriculum refers to all elements of the teaching- learning processthat work in convergence to help students attain high standards oflearning and understanding of the curricular goals and objectives.These elements include the teacher’s knowledge of subject matter, teachinglearning approaches and activities, instructional materials andlearning resources.
4. 4Effective teachers, plan, asses, and reportpromptly and clearly to learners, parents, andsuperiors about the progress of learners.Providing for a social and physical environmentwithin which all students, regardless of theirindividual differences in learning, can engage thedifferent learning activities and work towardsattaining high standards of learning.
5. 5Teachers serve as positive and powerful role models of thevalues of the pursuit of learning and of the effort to learn,and that the teachers actions, statements, and differenttypes of social interactions with students exemplify this ideal.
6. 6The Domain of Personal Growth andProfessional Development emphasizes the idealthat teachers value having a high personal regard,concern for professional development, andcontinuous improvement as teachers.
7. 7Learning objectivesGiven NATIONAL COMPETENCY-BASED TEACHERSTANDARDS (NCBTS) A PROFESSIONAL DEVELOP-MENTGUIDE FOR FILIPINO TEACHERS, the participants will: explain the concept of the NCBTS;differentiate the role of The Teacher as Facilitator ofLearning and as a learner.recognize the value of integrating all the elements of theteaching-learning process in performing their tasks.
8. 8Introductory Activity (10 minutes.)Present the following quotation:"Teaching should be such that what is offered isperceived as a valuable gift and not as a hard duty"-Albert Einstein-Ask: What are your reflections about the passage?Call at least three to five participants to giveresponses.
9. 9Activity (60 minutes)Organize the participants into groups of 5-8 members. Askthem to choose their leader and rapporteur.Task: Discuss in the groups the following:What is the NCBTS?Why do we need the NCBTS?How can the NCBTS help teachers improvetheir teaching competencies?
10. 10What are the seven domains of good teaching?Ask participants to write the responses of every question on a manilapaper/meta strips.Let the rapporteur report their output in theplenary.Analysis (30 minutes)Note: While the group is reporting, the facilitator will write onthe board the key words of the outputs presented. He/shewill then mention the commonalities of the responses, andasks the following questions:
11. 111. How do you feel about the presentations given?2. How were the standards of the NCBTSapplied in the school?3. Do you think NCBTS can help improve theteachers’ performance? Why?4. Why is it important for teachers to be familiar withthe background knowledge and experiences of thelearner?5. Why is there a need to be concerned about theholistic development of learners?
12. 126. Why is it important for teachers to demonstratemastery of the subject matter?7. How can teaching methods, learning activities andinstructional materials or resources help improve theperformance of learners?8. Have you ever evaluated the alignment ofassessment and planning activities to ensure thatthe teaching-learning activities are maximallyappropriate to the students’ current knowledge andlearning levels?
13. 139. Why is there a need to provide conducive socialand physical environment to the learners,regardless of their individual differences?10. Why is it necessary to establish a wholesomelearning environment that respond to the aspirationsof the community?11. Do you adhere to the ideal that teachers serveas positive and powerful role models? Explain youranswer.
14. 1412. Do you support to the ideal that teachers valuehaving a high personal regard, concern forprofessional development, and continuousimprovement as teachers? Explain your answer.Abstraction (60 minutes)Give a lecturette or present through power pointthe following:I. General introduction to the National Competency-Based Teacher Standards (NCBTS)
15. 15- What is the NCBTS?- Why Do We Need the NCBTS?- Who Should Use the NCBTS?- How Should Teachers Use the NCBTS?- Is the NCBTS New? How Similar or Differentis it?- What Does Competency-Based Mean?- How were These Competencies Chosen? HowWas the NCBTS Decided?
16. 16- Is the NCBTS Just A List of Competencies? Oris there A Theory or Framework That IntegratesAll These Competencies?- What are the Contrasting Paradigms ofTeaching?- Does the NCBTS Make Teaching MoreDifficult?- What If the Teachers Cannot Do This Type ofTeaching?- How Can the NCBTS Help Teachers ImproveTheir Teaching?- How Does the NCBTS Define Good Teaching?- What Are These Seven Domains?
17. 17II. The Teacher as Facilitator of Learning(Teacher Practices Related to the Technical Aspectof the Teaching-Learning Processes)Domain 3: Diversity of LearnersDomain 4: CurriculumDomain 5: Planning, Assessing and Reporting
18. 18Domain 2: Learning EnvironmentDomain 6: Community LinkagesIV. The Teacher as LearnerDomain 1. Social Regard for LearningDomain 7. Personal Growth and ProfessionalDevelopment
19. 19Application (60 minutes)Using the same grouping, ask the participants to give theirthoughts/reflections about the NCBTS in the context of improving teacherperformance.Provide each participant with cartolina, drawing/ coloring materials, pastes,etc. Ask them to give their significant learning/insights about NCBTSthrough illustration, article, poster/slogan, etc. incorporating the 7 domains.Share the outputs to the groupKeep the outputs as portfolio, have them checked by the School Head, anddisplay them in the classroom upon their return.
20. 20Concluding Activity (15 minutes)Ask:What have you gained so far?Can you now explain the importance of NCBTS in theimprovement of learning outcomes?As a Facilitator of Learning, what Teacher Practicesthat embed the learning environment?As a Learner, what are you expected to do?
21. 21End the session by presenting the quote.(Give participants time to reflect/answer thequestions)“We cannot hold a torch to light anothers pathwithout brightening our own.”-Ben Sweetland-Ask participants to reflect how this story relatesto their learning during the session?