How to create valuable inventory
and enable brands to target their
September 23, 2009
U.S. Consumer LBS Market Growth
U.S. Location Based Services Users •1 in 10 mobile subscribers
used an LBS in 4Q081
•LBS is highest revenue
25.00 generating application
category (contributing 70%+) 2
Millions of Subscribers
Consumer •3000+ applications in
“Navigation” category on
iPhone, 25% are free3
•$Over $2B Market (consumer
2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 LBS) in U.S. by 20124
Source: 1) Market Research Study by Limbo and GfK Technology; 2)
Nielsen Mobile ,4Q08; 3) Apple iPhone App Store; 4) IDC LBS
Report, December 2008, #215852
Questions: Is an ad-based model needed to achieve this growth?
When is the volume meaningful to the advertisers?
U.S. Mobile Advertising Market
Chart Source: Kelsey Group
Question: Is Location one of the “missing” elements that is needed
to help mobile advertising take off? 1Nielsen Mobile, 2Q08 Report
A Winning Combination?
Question: What is the right equation for creating more value
for the key stakeholders?
Topics To Be Addressed
• The current state of Location Based Advertising
• How important is location to advertisers?
• How important is advertising to LBS?
• How to create a platform that enables advertisers to reach the
• What is the value of geo-enabled content and applications to
advertisers and agencies and how can this be demonstrated?
• What business model is the most likely for LBA?
• When should location be used in advertising and what is the
level of granularity required by advertisers?
• What challenges must be overcome to make Location Based