What is a Trusted Service Manager?
A Trusted Service Manager (TSM) plays a vital role in the Near Field Communication (NFC) ecosystem.
A TSM acts as a trusted middle- man within the deployment of mobile payments:
1. Coordinating technical and business relationships of multiple stakeholders: mobile network operators (MNO), banks and other service providers (SP).
2. Securely installing and personalizing applications on the Secure Element (SE).
3. Handling banking and mobile security and securing consumer information.
4. Performing lifecycle management tasks for installed applications.
5. Securely generating, managing and distributing cryptographic keys
An SP communicates with an MNO to add an application on an NFC device.
But the reality is more complex.
Utopian NFC ecosystem with one TSM.
Different organisation see themselves as TSM and no single organisation is trusted by everyone.
One TSM creates ownership issues regarding relationships and data.
Current NFC ecosystem: Root TSM and SP TSM model
A Root TSM - manages the Root Security Domain (SD) on the NFC device and its keys. - informs SP TSMs of key events on applications. - interacts with the phone. - interacts with service provider TSMs.
An SP TSM - provisions, manages, loads and personalises applications into the SD on behalf of SPs. - manages their own secure environment. - interacts with the phone to install and personalise services. - interacts with Root TSMs to communicate state changes of applications.
1. Multiple markets becoming part of the mobile ecosystem are required to collaborate.
2. TSMs are their Single Point of Contact.
3. Markets such as payments, transit and access control need to cooperate.
4. TSMs allow stakeholders to effectively communicate and handle transactions securely with each other.
Becoming a TSM?
Service providers can keep control of their customers by becoming their own TSM.
This ensures flexibility and scalability to meet future market demands.
SE Interested in becoming a TSM? Watch our video:
David Worthington – Principle Consultant Payment & Chip Technology