1. Michael Jackson:a Career Artist"in the world of pop music, thereis Michael Jackson and there iseverybody else” – New York Times“Michael Jackson went into orbit, andnever came down.” – Berry Gordy
2. The Early YearsMichael Jackson was born on August 29th1958 inIndiana. He was the eighth of ten children in anAfrican American working-class family. As a boy,Michael had a troubled relationship with hisfather, Joe, and his father has admitted that heregularly whipped Michael. Michael stated thathe was physically and emotionally abusedduring incessant rehearsals, though he alsocredited his fathers strict discipline with playinga large role in his success.
3. This video was the first time Michael spokeopenly about his childhood abuse in aninterview with Oprah Winfrey, broadcast inFebruary 1993.Michael Jackson - Oprah Winfrey Interview
4. In 1964, Michael joined the Jackson 5. When hewas 8 years old he shared the lead vocals with hisolder brother Jermaine. In 1966, they won amajor local talent show with renditions ofMotown hits and James Browns "I Got You (I FeelGood)", led by Michael. In 1968, Rolling Stonemagazine described the young Michael as "aprodigy" with "overwhelming musical gifts,"writing that he "quickly emerged as the maindraw and lead singer."
5. Between 1972 and 1975, Michael released foursolo studio albums with Motown, among themGot to Be There and Ben, released as part of theJackson 5 franchise, and producing successfulsingles such as "Got to Be There", "Ben", and aremake of Bobby Days "Rockin Robin".This video shows MichaelJackson performing atthe Oscars.1973 Oscars
6. The groups sales begandeclining in 1973 and theJackson 5 left Motown in1975. They then signedwith Epic Records. In 1979,Jackson broke his noseduring a complex danceroutine. His subsequentrhinoplasty was not acomplete success; hecomplained of breathingdifficulties that wouldaffect his career.
7. His Off The Wall album which was released in 1979,was the first solo album to generate four U.S. top10 hits, including the chart-topping singles:Dont Stop Till You Get Enough -Michael JacksonRock with You - Michael Jackson
8. The Thriller album, released inlate 1982, was 1983s best-selling album worldwide andbecame the best-selling album ofall time in the United States, aswell as the best-selling album ofall time worldwide, selling anestimated 65 million copies.The album topped the Billboard 200 chart for 37 weeksand was in the top 10 of the 200 for 80 consecutiveweeks. It was the first album to have seven BillboardHot 100 top 10 singles, including "Billie Jean", "Beat It",and "Wanna Be Startin Somethin". Thriller was certifiedfor 29 million shipments by the RIAA, giving it DoubleDiamond status in the United States.
9. Michael Jacksons skin had been a medium-brown colorfor the entire duration of his youth, but starting in themid-1980s, it gradually grew paler. The change gainedwidespread media coverage, including rumors that hemight be bleaching his skin. According to J. RandyTaraborrellis biography, in 1986, Jackson was diagnosedwith vitiligo and lupus; the vitiligo partially lightened hisskin, and the lupus was in remission; both illnesses madehim sensitive to sunlight. The treatments he used for hiscondition further lightened his skin tone, and, with theapplication of pancake makeup to even out blotches, hecould appear very pale.Plastic Surgery
10. Jackson was also diagnosed with vitiligo in his autopsy.By the mid-1990s several surgeons speculated that hehad undergone various nasal surgeries, a forehead lift,thinned lips, and cheekbone surgery—although Jacksondenied this and insisted that he only had surgery on hisnose. Jackson claimed that he had only tworhinoplasties and no other surgery on his face, althoughat one point he mentioned having a dimple created inhis chin. Jackson lost weight in the early 1980s becauseof a change in diet and a desire for "a dancers body”.Witnesses reported that he was often dizzy andspeculated that he was suffering from anorexia;periods of weight loss would become a recurringproblem later in life.
11. Here is a video to demonstrate the manydifferent faces of Michael Jackson:Changing Faces of Jackson
12. In 1988, Jackson released his onlyautobiography, Moonwalk, which took fouryears to complete and sold 200,000 copies.Jackson wrote about his childhood, The Jackson5, and the abuse he had suffered. He also wroteabout his facial appearance, saying he had hadtwo rhinoplastic surgeries and a dimple createdin his chin. He attributed much of the change inthe structure of his face to puberty, weight loss,a strict vegetarian diet, a change in hair style,and stage lighting.
13. AccusationIn the summer of 1993, Michael Jackson wasaccused of child sexual abuse by a 13-year-oldboy named Jordan Chandler and his father, Dr.Evan Chandler, a dentist. Jordans mother was,however, adamant that there had been nowrongdoing on Jacksons part. Following this, hishome was raided by the police who, accordingto court documents, found books andphotographs in his bedroom featuring youngboys with little or no clothing.
14. In 2003, Living With Michael Jackson was broadcastedand demonstrated a very unfattering portrait of thesinging. In a particularly controversial scene, Jacksonwas seen holding hands and discussing sleepingarrangements with a young boy. Jackson was arrested inNovember 2003, and was charged with seven counts ofchild molestation and twocounts of administering anintoxicating agent inrelation to the 13 year oldboy shown in the film.Michael denied theallegations, saying thesleepovers were not sexualin nature.
15. The Final YearsIn 2006 there were rumours that Michael was undergoingfinancial problems. On June 25, 2009, Jackson died while inhis bed suffering cardiac arrest at his rented mansion at100 North Carolwood Drive in the Holmby Hills district ofLos Angeles. The memorial service was one of the mostwatched events in online streaming history. On October 28,2009, a documentary film about the rehearsals titledMichael Jacksons This Is It was released and it became thehighest grossing documentary or concert movie of all time,with earnings of more than $260 million worldwide.
18. Album ArtBy looking through his album art you cans see the wayhe changed gradually yet shockingly in the public eye.On the next slide are some examples from a randomselection of his albums:
19. For me…To me, Michael Jackson was one of the most incrediblemen that has ever lived, and had a very troubled life, ofwhich no one will ever know or fully understand. I havegrown up listening to Michael Jackson and still listen tohim now. I had tickets to his last concert yet due to hissurprising death, the tour was cancelled. It is very hardfor me to choose my favourite song of his, however Ithink that these would be the two at the top of my list.I think they are both very personal and powerful andalmost seems like a message from to the rest of theworld…
20. Earth SongThey Don’t CareAbout UsEarth Song Music VideoThey Dont Care About UsMusic Video