Pediment Sculptures: Temple of Zeus at Olympia Battle of the Lapiths and Centaurs ETHOS: Self-discipline; rational, intelligent, and controlled behavior; civilized. PATHOS: Spontaneous emotional reaction; irrational; anarchic.
SYMMETRIA: harmony; commensurability of the parts “ The Canon” Module The Doryphoros by Polykleitos
“ Man is the measure of all things.”—Protagoras (Greece; 400s BC) The Doryphoros by Polykleitos
Greek idealism: generic (the perfectibility of human nature) The Doryphoros by Polykleitos
RHYTHMOS: pattern of events Discus Thrower (Discobolus) by Myron
LARGE-SCALE BRONZE CASTING The simple lost-wax casting technique was inadequate for complex, life-sized figures, and a more sophisticated version was adopted, involving several steps. 1. A full-size clay model of statue fashioned out of clay.
LARGE-SCALE BRONZE CASTING 1. A full-size clay model of statue fashioned out of clay. 2. A clay mold was then created around the clay original; it was removed in sections, resulting in a several piece mold.
3. The pieces of the mold for each body were reassembled, and wax was applied to the insides of these molds; when removed the result was a hollow wax model in the shape of the original clay sculpture. Since this clay model would be used in casting, final refinements and adjustments were made to it.
4. Clay molded around exterior of the wax models for each part, and liquid clay was poured inside them to make hardened cores. Metal pins inserted to connect the clay outer layer to the clay core. OUTER LAYER OF CLAY (INVESTMENT) HOLLOW WAX MODEL OF HEAD CLAY CORE METAL PINS (CHAPLETS)
5. Assembly heated so that wax melts out. LAYER OF WAX MELTED OUT, LEAVING AN EMPTY SPACE METAL PINS HOLD THE CLAY CORE IN PLACE WITHIN THE OUTER LAYER OF CLAY, PRESERVING THE HOLLOW CHANNEL
6. Molten bronze poured into the hollow channel. MOLTEN BRONZE
6. Molten bronze poured into the hollow channel. 7. When the bronze hardens, the outer layer of clay and as much of the inner core as possible are removed, leaving final bronze versions of the individual body parts, which were fitted together and soldered. MOLTEN BRONZE