2. Hi , We’re Sylwia And Marta . We are going to travel back in time to visit Marie Curie . Let’s meet her now. Hi !!!
3. Getting to know Marie Curie Hi !!!! I’m glad you are here. I’d like to tell you about my life. I want to show you some of the things I’ve done.
4. <ul><li>Marie Składowska-Curie was born in Poland in 1867. When she was a single her family name was Maria Składowska. Maria’s parents were teachers. They taught Maria that learning was fun. Maria loved school and especially learning science. She was the best student in her class. Her school gave her a gold medal. </li></ul>Early Years
5. <ul><li>When Maria finished high school, she become a teacher. S he liked reading books about science a t night. All the time she wanted to learn more and more. Maria we n t to a university in France. She loved studying math and science at the university . </li></ul>
6. <ul><li>While she was in France , Maria met a scientist. His name was Pierre Curie. They fell in love. Soon they got married. Maria changed her name to Maria Curie. They started working on science projects together. </li></ul>Two Scientists
7. Husband Her husband was a good student. In 1898 they discovered a new element RAD together . Peter died in 10 April in 1906.
8. Their daughter helped them. Daughter Mari a Skłodowskiej-Curie ’s daughter was a very good scientist too, a n d she was awarded with the Prize Nobla.
9. <ul><li>Marie Curie learned about the work of another scientist. This scientist had discovered strange rays. These rays were not bright, but they were powerful and these rays were called X RAYS. Maria and her husband could find out that the X rays could pass through skin and could be used to take pictures of bones in the human body. </li></ul>Strong Rays
10. <ul><li>X rays are widely use in medicine nowadays. </li></ul>
11. <ul><li>Merie and Pierre had a friend . His name was Henri Becquerel. Becquerel studied a metal called uranium. Becquerel discovered that uranium gave off rays. The rays were like X rays, but not as strong. They could go through paper, but not skin. Marie Curie studied uranium to learn more about the rays. She called the energy that came from the rays . It was the radioactivity. </li></ul>Uranium
12. <ul><li>Uranium is an element. Everything in nature is made out of elements. Gold and iron are also exampels of elements. Marie wande d to find out what other elements gave off rays. Marie and Pierre worked together. They discovered new elements. One of these elements was radium. Radium gives off very strong rays. These rays can be used to cure people who are sick with cancer. The rays can also be used to cure other sicknesses. </li></ul>Radium
13. <ul><li>Marie and Pierre Curie won a big prize in </li></ul><ul><li>1903. It was the Nobel Prize. They won it for their work with radioactivity. Their friend Henri also won the prize with them. The Nobel Prize is one of the world’s top science award. Leter, in 1911, M arie Curie again won it for her work with radium. She was the first person who w o n the Nobel prize twice. </li></ul>A Big Prize
14. <ul><li>After Marie Curie won her first Nobel Prize, she became a professor. A professor is a teacher at a university. Marie was a professor at the Sorbonne University in France. She was the first woman to teach at a university in Fra nce . Marie Curie was an important Polish and European scientist. She discovered new things. And she showed that women could be great scientists, too. </li></ul>A Professor
15. <ul><li>Cancer – a disease than makes people very sick </li></ul><ul><li>In Polish - rak poważna, silna osłabiająca choroba </li></ul><ul><li>In Romanian: cancer </li></ul><ul><li>Elements – the basic materials or substances that make up everythings in the world. There are over 100 known elements </li></ul><ul><li>In Polish - pierwiastki podstawowe materiały </li></ul><ul><li>In Romanian:elemente chimice </li></ul>Glossary
16. <ul><li>Radium – a radioactive metal that Marie Curie discovered </li></ul><ul><li>In Polish - metal radioaktywny odkryty przez Marię Składowską-Curie </li></ul><ul><li>In Romanian: Radiu </li></ul><ul><li>Rays – Beams of energy </li></ul><ul><li>In Polish – Promienie, wiązki energii </li></ul><ul><li>In Romanian: raze de energie </li></ul>Glossary
17. <ul><li>Uranium- a radioactive metal that Marie Curie studied. </li></ul><ul><li>In Polish – Uran radioaktywny metal, który badała Maria Curie. </li></ul><ul><li>In Romani a n: Uraniu </li></ul><ul><li>X rays- rays that can pass through things that ordinary light cannot pass though. X rays can pass through skin. They can be used to take pictures of parts of the body that cannot be seen from the outside. </li></ul><ul><li>In Polish – promienie rentgenowskie (przenikają przez skórę, można je wykorzystać do sfotografowania części ciała, której z zewnątrz nie widać. </li></ul><ul><li>In Romani a n: Raze x </li></ul>Glossary
18. <ul><li>Marta Linka </li></ul><ul><li>and Sylwia Zimnoch </li></ul><ul><li>Primary School No 5, </li></ul><ul><li>Bielsk Podlaski, </li></ul><ul><li>Poland </li></ul>Produced by