View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
WHY IS HE FAMOUS?
• He was the first black president of
• He was 27 years in prison because he
protested against the pro-apartheid
government and he wanted white and nonwhite people to have the same rights.
• When he left prison, he worked to get
human rights and a better future for
everyone in South Africa.
• In 1993, he won the Novel Peace Prize.
• Rolihlahla Mandela was born on 18th
July 1918 in Transkei.
• A school teacher gave him the name
• Most people called him Madiba.
• He died on 3rd January 2013.
Mandela's parents was related to the
Tembu royal family.
His father, Henry, was a chief of the
His mother was Nosekeni Fanny.
Unfortunately, his father died when
Mandela was only 9 years old and he was
brought up by the regent of the Tembu.
• Nelson studied at a mission school and
then he went to college.
• Later, he studied Law at Fort Hare
university and he became a lawyer in 1942.
• When Mandela
was growing up, the
government was whites-only and black
people had little to say about it. Most
black people was poor and worked as
servants on farms, factories or gold
• In 1944, Nelson Mandela joined the ANC
(African National Congress). The ANC
wanted black South Africans to have the
same human rights as the whites.
• However, in 1948 the South African
government made new laws to separate
black people from white people. This
new system was called apartheid.
WHAT WAS APARTHEID?
Apartheid forced white and non-white
people to live in separate areas.
• Besides, a black person and a white person
could not marry, they could not share a table
at a restaurant or sit together on a bus.
In addition, black children and white
children wentto different schools and sports
teams was all-black teams or all-white.
MANDELA MAKES A STAND
• Mandela dmired Gandhi, who had used
peaceful protest in INDIA, and he tried
to use peaceful protest to stop
• However, to speak out in South Africa
was dangerous and Mandela would be
sentenced to life imprisonment...
• Mandela didn’t give up and he became
the most famous prisoner in the world.
At last, in 1990 the new South African
president, FW de Klerk, set Mandela
free and agreed to stop fighting.
• Mandela wrote a book about his
struggle, "Long Walk to Freedom". He
has been an inspiration for a lot of
people all over the world.